Shower fitting - help please with regard to inlet nut size

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DekeWd, Jan 11, 2018.

1. DekeWd

DekeWd New Member

I have a thermostatic exposed bar mixer but the inlet pipes to it are 1 inch in diameter. This needs replacing as it goes from cold to boiling hot within a turn of a few mms. All the showers I have looked at seem to state 1/2 or 3/4 inch inlet nuts so is there any that fit my 1 inch ones or does it mean ripping out tiling and pipework?

Thanks

2. terrymac

terrymac Active Member

The measurements are refering to the thread size 1/2 inch or 3/4 bsp ,not the actual measurement of the nut width. Its not likely that the size of your pipes are 1 inch

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

They're probably 3/4" BSP fittings.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Can you measure the existing pipe exactly - internal and external?

5. DekeWd

DekeWd New Member

I have measured the threads and they are 1inch internal hence why I'm in difficulty finding a replacement mixer.

Thanks for the replies

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

3/4" or 22 mm pipe normally uses a thread that is 1.041" diameter so 3/4 BSP as suggested by DrB. Can you check the actual pipe size?

7. terrymac

terrymac Active Member

If you have two male threads coming thru your tiles ,and they measure 1 inch ,they will be 3/4 bsp. The supply pipework size is irrelevant , but most likely 15 mm. The distance between the male threads is more often than not 150 mm ,but some are not.you need to check what yours are and ensure the replacent valve is the same ,with 3/4 bsp female threads .

8. DekeWd

DekeWd New Member

Thanks very much. Seems I thought 3/4bsp meant 3 quarters of an inch. The male threads are 1 inch supplied by 15mm pipework.

I'll get one from screwfix as they will always refund if it doesn't fit

Wish I'd asked this question a couple of years ago

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

It does, nominal size is 3/4".

[​IMG]

10. DekeWd

DekeWd New Member

Seems the screwfix showers are all 1/2bsp :(

11. terrymac

terrymac Active Member

Don't think they are mate

12. DekeWd

DekeWd New Member

I will have a good look tomorrow and ask the question of inlet size on each shower as bizarrely, this measurement isn't in the standard specs. Thanks again,

13. terrymac

terrymac Active Member

Thats probably because 3/4 is a given. Please note ,nearly all makes of this type of mixer come with a pair of offset connectors. One end is 1/2 inch bsp ,and goes onto the fitting at the supply pipe end ,the other end is 3/4 inch bsp and that's what you see sticking out the wall. The bar valve has 3/4 bsp female captive nuts ,with rubber seals. You just connect the new valve to the two threaded males that come out the wall. Please measure the distance between them ,if its 150 mm its a doddle !!

14. DekeWd

DekeWd New Member

Its all becoming clearer to me now. I have 150mm centers so will buy a mixer this weekend

Thanks for your very helpful advice.

terrymac likes this.
  15. DekeWd

DekeWd New Member

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  16. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

We use active spay bleach.....but....you must protect the waste out and other metals.
    And dont breath the stuff in...lol
    nailbrush and cif...also
    Rs

17. DekeWd

DekeWd New Member

this stuff?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/285593342

I think I#ve tried every solution known to man lol (baking soda, bleach etc)

18. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Dettol...Mould & Mildew Remover......
    The Lady of the House uses it.
    Rs

19. DekeWd

DekeWd New Member

Will give it a try thanks

20. terrymac

terrymac Active Member

Happy new valve !! All those grout cleaner chemicals are not up to much ,in my opinion. Remove the grout and re new ....good as new...like your shiny new valve