Shower Flow Slowing Down

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mcooper2406, Feb 6, 2019.

1. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Member

Afternoon All,

Our shower is pretty poor. I'm not sure of the exact flow rate but my wife tells me the flow rate has been getting steadily worse over the past couple of years. I recently replaced the pipe to the downstairs sink and the flow rate has increased so my opinion is that maybe the pipe up to the shower has become scaled on the inside?

The shower head itself is constantly requiring descaling.

My question is, could this be the cause? and if so how do I descale the pipe as it is behind the tiles and connected to one of those heated showers.

I do have the opportunity to access all of the pipework from underneath while the ceiling is down in the roof below so installing something is an option if this would help.

Thanks in advance

2. It might be as simple as the shower handset ('head') is clogged up inside even though you've cleaned it outside. Try removing it and see what the flow's like from the hose. If that looks pretty good, try a new handset.

If it's not, and you have an electric shower, they often have a filter on the inlet pipe under the cover which can become progressively blocked. If you know what you're doing, you can clean that out, but as there is 240v in there, if you're not sure, get a plumber to do it for you.

3. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Member

Thanks for your reply, we've replaced the head a couple of times. The shower has also been replaced in that time (like for like) so I don't think they can be the reasons

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

If you do start taking the shower to bits either put the plug in the bath or tape over the shower tray outlet.

Was there any scale build up in the pipe you replaced to the downstairs sink?

5. gas monkey

gas monkey Member

have a look if you are in a hard water area try an electrical device on your incoming pipes may help

6. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Member

We are a very hard water area.

Most of it was lead but the copper part is still in the wall for now as it was plastered on I've had to re run the pipe so no way to tell yet

7. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Member

Hi all,

Just thought I'd add some more information to this to see if anyone can offer me some possible solutions.

I've done a flow rate test (fill a 2 liter bottle) and from that I've worked out that my kitchen tap straight off the main is 12l/min,

The bathroom tap straight below the shower is 15l/min (this is the same pipe as the shower) but the water coming out of the shower unit (no pipe or showerhead straight out of the unit) is less than 2l/min.

Obviously the problem lies after the t junction for the bath tap somewhere. It could be the shower but we've had 3 or 4 different showers and always had a very poor flow.

As the pipe is plastered in could it be something as ridicules as it was linked somewhere while they were doing it?

Cheers all

8. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Member

I should add what I'm planning to do next is take the shower off (fully isolated obviously) and run the water without the shower attached to see the flow from that pipe, just a little late to start doing that tonight