Shower head flow.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jim Dale, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Jim Dale

Jim Dale New Member

Can anyone help. Will a 22mm cold supply from my header tank to a thermostatic bar shower give me a stronger flow at the shower head? I have 15mm supply at present.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

You'll get less of a pressure drop with 22m than with 15mm, so should get better flow. Is the hot 22mm?

3. Jim Dale

Jim Dale New Member

Looks as though I need to swop for a 22mm cold then before thinking of a pump Yes
    the hot is 22mm but obviously goes down to 15mm into the shower.

4. Dr Bodgit

If you're going to put in a pump, a 15mm cold will likely work fine. However the cold supply should be dedicated to the shower and I'd put in a 22mm pipe anyways as that's the best option.

5. Jim Dale

Jim Dale New Member

Thanks Dr. I don't want to put in a pump, if I get more water at the shower head with a 22mm cold supply then that is what I will start with.

6. Dr Bodgit

How far above the shower head is the cold water tank, not much, a metre? Choice of shower head will make a big difference, you need one that's designed for 0.1 bar pressure (which is about as low as you can go).

7. Jim Dale

Jim Dale New Member

1.5 metre between shower head and tank. Shower needs a minimum pressure of 1.0 bar

8. Dr Bodgit

Well there's your problem, 1 bar is equivalent to 10m of head, you've got 1.5.

9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale New Member

Yeh, So a pump job. Thanks for your help Dr.