Shower head for new shower running off combi boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Urban Bumpkin, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

We've recently had a new shower installed which runs off a combi boiler.

The main rain shower head is fine, but it has a secondary hand shower fluctuates between hot and hold when in use. If I take the head off the hand shower then its absolutely fine (it stays at the same temp).

So I concluding that the issue is being cause by the hand shower head. Has anyone also had this problem? I'm guessing there may be a better shower head to replace this.

Any suggestions?

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

If the hand shower is right on the limit of the flow required to fire the boiler, it may sometimes fire and sometimes not, giving the symptoms your describe. This is perhaps further reinforced by it working without the head.

If the installer supplied the shower, I would expect them to help you out. If you supplied, you'll need to go back to the supplier and see if they can supply a head requiring more flow.

You might also try de-scaling the head. If you're in a hard water area, it may have become partially blocked with lime scale.

Sammi likes this.
  3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

It's a new shower!

4. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

"... recently......installed..." can mean different things to different people. I see no harm in trying the obvious first.

5. Sammi

Sammi Member

What Andy says makes sense. It does sound as though the boiler is cycling on and off and this is usually caused by there not being enough flow through it to keep it firing.

Combis can also cycle hot and cold through have a blocked secondary exchanger, but this seems to be ok since it works fine on the rain head.

What make and model of shower is it? I wonder if it has any flow restrictors which can be removed?

It could also - just about possibly - be caused by a kinked inner hose. When you look down the hose with the head removed, is it fully smooth and round?