Shower help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jo Berry, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

Hi there,

I have a shower that works but is very poor. The flow is terrible and it is difficult to maintain an even water temp. It goes cooler but not cold. So I reduce the cold water slightly and then it will go hot again a few seconds later. It is a deck mounted mixer tap with hose shower.

Our water flow is very low at 7.5 to 8 LPM. The water on the main in the street is 25LPM read by United Utilities just last week. Having the pipe from the road to our house replaced isn't an option.

Our boiler is a Worcester 28i Junior combi. It is regularly serviced as I have a contract.

We are going to have our bathroom refurbed in a few years time but not just yet due to funds. My question is- is there a tap/shower option that will give me a more powerful shower that we can install in the meantime. One where it comes from the bath and we wont have to knock tiles off the wall.

Another thing to note is the shower head is a Mira. It has 92 holes and is at least 10 years old. It needs replacing because it is getting black. Anyway I have bought 2 new shower heads and both of the new ones only have around 50 holes. When I put either of these on the water goes hot and cold. My service engineer says it is because not enough water is able to push through the boiler to ignite constantly because of the shower head restriction. I don't know if this is correct. Anyway I put the 92 hole shower head back on and the water does not go cold mid shower.

I just wanted advice on if I can replace what I have for the short term or am I stuck with this for ever.
    regards,
    Jo Berry

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What flow rate do you get from the shower ,when just hot tap is on at your mixer,and no shower head fitted ,just from the hose ?
    If you let it run into a bucket for one minute,then measure how many litres of water are in the bucket. This will tell us how many litres per minute the shower can deliver,hot only.

3. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

hi Terry, just tested as you suggested and hot only is just over 5 LPM. Thank you

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What do you get from the hot tap itself ,not via the shower ,as if you were going to fill the bath ???
    Trying to establish where the restriction is.

5. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

6.3 LPM through hot tap

6. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

My current taps and shower head if this is of any help :) 20210122_084147.jpg 20210122_084305.jpg 20210122_084331.jpg

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I don't think you will improve anything by changing the tap.
    Have you had any investigation done to establish why your water supply is so low ?
    That would be the first thing to sort out ,other things like fitting a booster pump could be explored.
    Are you on a water meter fitted externally ? .

8. StuckDiy

StuckDiy New Member

"My service engineer says it is because not enough water is able to push through the boiler to ignite constantly because of the shower head restriction. I don't know if this is correct."

Sorry I'm not an expert but just wanted to say wouldn't that be proved if u get stable hot water in the bath on the normal tap rather than using the shower head? Sorry if thats dumb.

9. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

Yes there is a water meter. I had a recent kitchen refit and as I had a plumber here I asked him about the mains water pipe leading to the house and he said it looks like an old lead one that comes up to the stop tap. My neighbours are the same with low flow to their houses. We assumed it is a 70 year old lead mains pipe that is the problem. None of my neighbours have had theirs replaced either. I can't get to my stop tap. I had a sure stop fitted on it for ease of mind. The flow was terrible before I had this done but I do feel like it may have got slightly worse since. United utilities gave me some figures from his findings if this helps at all. Thank you

Attached Files:

10. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

The water temp varies slightly with 92 hole shower head. The water temp goes hot and cold with a 50 hole shower head. The water temp is constant through the bath tap.

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The engineer is correct . The shower head is supplied by the flexible hose ,the internal diameter of the hose is quite small,and restrictive to flow ,and of course there is cold running through also ,so the flow of the hot itself will not be 5 ltrs / min.
    If you run the shower ,with showerhead fitted,and only the hot tap open ( no cold) Do you get consistent ,non stop,hot water ? ( Forget the temperature for now) I suspect you will .

12. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

With shower head fitted and hot water only turned on the water is always hot. I can not tell if it is a consistent temp as it is too hot to hold hand under.

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes ,but it's not running cold !!
    Can't you turn down the temperature of the hot water at your combi ? You could also buy a flexible hose with the largest possible internal bore to help flow.

14. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

I have just turned the water temp down on the boiler as far as possible without it going into summer mode (switches of heating) I can't tell if it feels any better without literally having a shower. The hand isn't as sensitive as the body. Great idea on the hose. I wasn't aware that different bores were available. Thanks.

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

We'll go an have a shower then, we want to know how ya get on !!!!!!

16. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

Lol I already had one this morning ha ha. You will have to be patient :p

terrymac likes this.
  17. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

Hi Terry, just thought I would give you an update after your help last week. Turning the temp down on the water made no difference at all. The temp still fluctuated during shower. BUT....... I ordered a 10mm bore hose and new shower head and WOW! my shower is fantastic compared to what I have been putting up with for so long. It's no power shower but hey, beggars can't be choosers. But seriously, thanks for helping me out. It's much appreciated. Jo :)

I-Man and WillyEckerslike like this.
  18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Happy showering Jo !!!!!

19. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

nice that you actually reported back and thanked the person who helped you...sadly many do not!

20. Jo Berry

Jo Berry New Member

Manners cost nothing I-Man. I was bought up with respect. Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. Have a nice evening.