Shower issue

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Robert Cragg, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Robert Cragg

Robert Cragg New Member

My shower recently stopped working. The power light comes on (when you switch on at the isolator). When you try to turn the shower on (at the unit) the power indicator light goes out and shower doesn't run.

I thought the solenoid had gone as the unit is about 10 yrs old, so I decided to replace the shower. Having replaced it the fault still happens.

Is this a wiring issue (i.e. a break in the circuit has happened)? Nothing has changes since it was working in terms of the wires. Or could it still be a solenoid fault even thought it is new?

2. This is an electric 'instant' shower?

The most likely cause is a bad connection at your isolator switch, on the 'live' side. If you cut the power to the shower at your CU (or just switch off the whole CU to be sure to be sure) and undo that switch, chances are you'll find signs of a wire overheating as it goes in to the terminals.

The fault could be within the switch itself, but chances are that's where the issue is.

(When you switch that switch on, power goes through to the neon indicator and to the actual shower. The neon lights up because it barely needs any power to do so, so even a very bad connection will allow it to. But once you switch on your shower, this imposes a very heavy load on the switch and its connections, and any 'weakness' there will show up. It sounds like a poor, loose or corroded connection which becomes 'high resistance' once a heavy load is placed on it. This high resistance is then enough to make the neon go off.)

So check that switch first - but POWER OFF!

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Makes a change!