Shower mixer getting stuck when turning off

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by steph_6892, Apr 25, 2020.

1. steph_6892

steph_6892 New Member

Hello,

If anyone can offer any advice on the below it would be much appreciated.
    I have a Bristan shower mixer (separate from my bath taps) which recently has been getting stuck when I've been trying to turn the dial so the water is off.
    Sometimes the mixer makes a 'clunk' noise when the mixer is first turned on and sometimes there is a slight squealing noise for a few seconds during the first couple of minutes the water is running.
    Im quite strong and over the last week ive found it physically impossible to turn the dial off - I have found that running another tap can sometimes help.

I thought it might be something to so with the water pressure on the boiler but this is 1 bar.

Any advice most welcome!! thanks

Attached Files:

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. The pressure on your boiler has no connection with the water pressure in your hot and cold water systems.
    2. If you have a combi boiler, your hot and cold pressures should be more or less the same.
    3. If you have a system or heat only boiler (hot water cylinder, cold water storage cistern in loft) then your hot and cold pressures may well be different.
    4. I'd suspect the shower valve needs removing, cleaning (particularly if you are in a hard water area) and re-assembling.
    5. At worst you might need a new shower valve.
    6. Either 4. or 5. above require the water (hot and cold) to be turned off.