Shower only runs hot

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Count., Sep 8, 2021.

1. Count.

Count. New Member

Hi,

looking for some advice, we have a cold water cistern tank in the roof and a hot water cylinder in our airing cupboard.
    Our non-electric shower has a shower mate eco pump fitted (not sure if relevant) as we have 2 showers upstairs so we don’t lose pressure when they’re both running. Recently our main bathroom will only allow hot water through to the point it’s almost unusable for being so hot, but the other shower temp controls are still working ok. Both showers are exactly the same. Could this be a facet or scald guard related issue? Or something else? Thank you

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

As you have not told us the type / make / model of your shower ,I would take a guess that it's a thermostatic mixer valve of some sort ,and it's not mixing properly ,and needs repair or replacement.

Count. and pppmacca43 like this.
  3. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I’m with terrymac that thermostatic cartridge is most likely. Or it could be a blocked inlet filter on the cold, although if only hot water was getting through I’d expect the thermostatic valve to shut down. If it was me (assuming it is a thermostatic type) I would take the cartridge out, check for any blocked filters, flush some water through(if possible) whilst cartridge is out to ensure you are getting water to the valve and then if that fails replace the cartridge or the shower valve.
    Take a photo of the offending shower and post it on here.

Count. likes this.
  4. Count.

Count. New Member

Thank you for your response. I’m sorry I don’t know the make of the shower, there’s not a brand name on it (also unable to upload images for some reason as the files are too large!) I believe it is a mixer shower yes. One dial for on/off the other dial for H/C.

5. Count.

Count. New Member

Finally with some editing the file is small enough to upload!!

Attached Files:

6. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Not one I’ve seen before, will be a thermostatic cartridge under that plate though under the bottom knob. That being faulty is the most likely source of the issue.

Count. likes this.
  7. Count.

Count. New Member

Thank you! Is it silly as amateurs to attempt our own repairs to that?

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Probably wise to get a plumber ,depends on your skills and available tools really,if you want to try yourselves.

Count. likes this.