shower pump (great when it works)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by limestone, Jul 3, 2010.

1. limestone

limestone Member

I've got a problem with a salamander 1.5bar shower pump. It's a replacement as the other one worked perfectly for 18 months then developed a leak and so got swopped.

The problem with the replacement is that it won't run continuously but keeps. pulsing and isn't delivering a very good flow.

I thought it might be air, still might be I suppose but I've tried bleeding the system by back flushing it from a mains supply. I've also disconnected the supply (22mm speedfit) to the pump and it seems to be running through there OK.

The problem only seems to be on the cold side as if I turn the shower on to hot only it seems to run OK.

Looking at the cold supply it is taken in 22mm speedfit from a connector to the side of a 50 gallon tank about 150mm from the bottom. The run then about 2 metres to the shower connection.

I'm tempted to disconnect the shower itself next to see if there is something blocking the feed at the shower end, but since the unit is grouted in etc that would mean quite a bit of upheaval so I thought I'd post this first to see if anyone could come up with another solution?

Also, it worked OK with the last pump?

THanks in advance

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

It will be air. Back flushing a shower pump with mains water is a silly idea! You just need to bleed the air out, try running the pump fully hot then fully cold for a few minutes. If not fit bleed valves on the high point of the supply.

3. multikwik

multikwik New Member

air or blockage at shower or pump filters if installed.

4. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Tell us about the feed from the hot tank.
    What's the shower valve?
    Where exactly is the pump located?