Shower pump query,.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by smithybora, Nov 23, 2008.

1. smithybora

smithybora New Member

HI Guys.

Been reading up on installing a shower pump.

Could someone explain to me why you need a seperate cold feed from the cold water tank in the loft?

Why cant you just t T off the cold feed feeding the hot water tank, as its the same tank.

JUst wanted to understand why.

thanks
    tony

2. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

For one it is an anti scald method of installation, also you would lose flow and the shower hot and cold would not be balanced. Follow the manufacturors advice, ignore at your peril.

3. mr_penetrator

mr_penetrator New Member

Tony, the most important reason is to do with safety. The tank connector for the cold feed to the pump should be fitted lower on the CWSC to ensure that there's never a risk of the pump being starved of cold therefore taking away the risk of scolding.

4. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Thanks guys.

Wasnen't plannign on taking short cuts. Just wanted to understand way. It dosen't say why in the instructions.

Also i take it you can do the hot fed in two ways. Either with a S flange or T off with a 45 degree angle to reduce air building up.

I think. :)

5. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Thanks guys.

Wasen't planning on taking short cuts. Just wanted to understand way. It dosen't say why in the instructions.

Also i take it you can do the hot fed in two ways. Either with a S flange or T off with a 45 degree angle to reduce air building up on the top of the hot water tank.

I think. :)

6. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

You can also use an essex flange if you are brave enough, i.e drill into the cylinder near the top before it starts to curve not too close to the seam though.
    If using top exit make sure you have the right flange as some cylinders are male or female outlets. York flange for male outlets.