Shower Pump Type? And labour cost to replace

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rob100, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Rob100

Rob100 New Member

Hi,

I have an extremely old shower pump that has now completely stopped working,
    Does anyone know what type of shower pump this is and what I could replace it
    25ABF3F1-A17F-4D36-8796-9CDB6B7743B6.jpeg FC7385C1-6472-4272-9493-7E4780844BF7.jpeg
    if I am able to replace this, is it worth me buying it myself and paying a p rated electrician to install it ?
    How much roughly would a job like this cost?

Thanks !

2. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Hi Rob

It's not an electrical job per se, the biggest part of the work will be altering the pipework to fit the new pump - not many electricians will do this as they are generally not insured for plumbing. The actual electrical connection is either a plug or 3 wires into a fused connection unit.

The plumbing forum guys will know more on the type.

If you are handy with plumbing, its an easy job, I did one for a mate a few weeks back.

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Easy enough to do it yourself. Could you connect the switch terminals in a better way than they are? If yes, then the rest will be easy.

Can you get a picture of the name plate on top.

As @Tony Goddard says, more plumbing than electrics but quite a few here have knwledge of both side.

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

How does it switch on?

Is there a manual switch or flow switches in the pipework?

It looks like an old negative head pump that requires manual starting.

5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Ballpark price materials and labour £500 - £600.

6. That’s what I thought, and that’s what the two wires coming out the back are for. With the main cable being the power supply.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

While you are changing the pump, invest in a water softener. you live in a hard water area (very).
    Hard water will seriously reduce the lifetimes of your new pump, washing machine and many other appliances .