Shower pump

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jim Dale, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Jim Dale

Jim Dale New Member

I have extended my shower cubicle and fitted a bar thermostatic shower with a larger head. As I have a gravity fed system the pressure is poor so I am having to fit a pump. Firstly, what pump do you recommend and secondly, my cold supply from the header tank is 15mm, do I need to replace this with a 22mm pipe to the pump, as well as hot from immersion tank. Then 22-15mm from pump to shower?

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Assuming both hot and cold are gravity fed from the loft CW tank, you need a twin impellor positive head pump, Stuart turner are the mutts nuts, their Monsoon is the choice of many ;-) https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/stuart...eller-positive-shower-pump-46416-101360-18611

15mm should be fine, but is the cold connected to anything else? If so, you really want to run a dedicated pipe for the cold from the tank, ideally in 22mm. For the hot, best to have a Surrey or Warix flange on the HW cylinder and take the feed to the shower from the air free outlet.

The ST pump has 22mm push fit connectors.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. Jim Dale

Jim Dale New Member

15mm direct to shower, no other connections, wasn't sure if both hot and cold in-feeds had to be 22mm to pump. Will investigate those pumps, thanks.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Stuart Turner Monsoon ... their ShowerMate range are cheaper but noisier and without a long warranty.

You need to also decide the flow you need and with that information look at the options for 1, 1.5, 2, 3 or 4 bar pumps to find one that will deliver your desired flow.

5. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

ST monsoon thirded...fitting one next week

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

ST monsoon fourthed.

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Active Member

Bypass and eliminate the header tank in your loft and have mains water pressure throughout the house. No need for noisy shower pumps which will only ever deteriorate over time. You can drink from every cold tap in the house, and the list of benefits goes on.
    :)

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

That would require replacing the vented hot water cylinder with an unvented one...very expensive.

9. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Usual to have the cold water taps fed from the mains.