Shower pumps and panels

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Iain, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Iain

Iain New Member

Anyone any views on good sizes for shower pumps and panels. I'm converting one large bathroom into two smaller ones (one en-suite) and putting in a couple of Armitage-Shanks shower baths. My thought is to also install a 'suitable' shower pump and new shower units, the issue being, which!

ScrewFix and others offer pumps from about 1.5-3 bar and various shower units including 'drench' units. I've been warned about pumps + large shower heads = no hot water real quick!

My thought is to go for a 'good' pump like the ScrewFix 3bar unit plus maybe a shower panel with body jets rather than a drench head, but am I right?

Tank will be a 1200x450 unit and it's unlikely both baths/showers will be used at once. Ideas and suggestions welcomed :)

Also looking at bath fill options including 'overflow fillers' that don't require a tap spout to intrude into the bath...a consideration on a shower-bath. Anyone any experience of these?

Thx.../Iain

2. mj

mj Guest

Stuart Turner monsoon pumps are among the best you can buy, 3 bar approx £330. Try there web site for for fitting specs & water storage requirements
    Grohe make Talentofill (combined filler & overflow)+ Aquadimmer (combined shower & bath filler control + it's thermostatic). I think they require min 3.0 bar pressure, another bonus is that Grohe is far more reliable & better looking than mira's & aqualisa's!

3. Pugley

Pugley Member

A lot depends on how much head you have already on your existing system and what type of shower you require.

Without going into who makes the best pumps (Staurt Turner are well made), I think you need to consider how much hot water you are likely to consume. 3 bar does drill holes in your head or body but also empties the tank quite quickly.

1.5 bar with a low pressure shower head and only 800mm of head gives a decent shower and makes the hot water last longer. (With the proviso that you are not trying to pump over long distances through 15mm pipes)

It's a question of wash or pressure wash really.

4. Iain

Iain New Member

Wash or pressure wash...hummm...

I have a head of about 2.8m...or at least it's 2.8m from floor to ceiling so a bit more to the top of the tank and a bit less as the showerhead won't be on the floor...but it's got to be a 2.5m head.

So is your suggestion that 3 bar is simply going to feel like having holes drilled in me? Would 1.5 bar be a more comfortable shower?

All on short direct feeds...cold and hot tank and showers are all next/above/below each other. Cold to Hot and probably hot to mixer will be on 22mm (mixer will hopefully double for bath via diverter valve) so flow should be good. Pump would be smallest bore in the line.

Also, while I know Stuart Turner of old, are they still considered well above the likes of ScrewFix, Wickes or other retail pumps??

Thanks for your advice.../Iain

5. mj

mj Guest

S T pumps are in a different league to the screwfix/wickes etc (you gets what you pays for)
    Your head of water is measured from the height of the shower head to the bottom of the cold water storage tank.
    1.5 bar pump will be fine for running shower heads only, if your thinking of heads & body jets together then go for 3.0 bar. I mainly fit 3.0 bar & above as customers are often disappointed with 1.5 bar.Try finding a good bathroom showroom as many now have working displays to show off different pump pressures.
    Check with shower manufacturers as they all have different pressure/flow requirements, then choose the pump to match your equipment