Shower - removal to adjust temperature

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by MsJen, Jan 13, 2021 at 5:12 PM.

1. MsJen

MsJen New Member

Hello, i'm trying to adjust the temperature on my shower as it's not hot enough.

I've started taking apart but don't know how to take this out!

Can anyone assist?

Attached Files:

Hot Water 2Day likes this.
  2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You need a box spanner to remove brass nut then cartridge will pull forwards and out

Do you have the instal instructions for the shower and the instructions to alter temperature range ?

Could be several issues, question of working through various possibilities to rule out each one

Check hot water temp at source
    Hot water temp at taps (if fed same as shower)
    Filters are clean
    Is shower pumped
    Any plumbing work been done
    Cartridge is clean and not scaled up
    Etc

3. MsJen

MsJen New Member

Thanks Dave.

I have the initial installation details and just watching a few youtube clips on how to adjust, but stumbled at the first blocks it would seem.

It's only in the winter that the hot water isn't hot enough for me, and I usually just deal with it, but thought i'd give it a stab this year.

The hot water on the bath taps go scolding hot, so im sure its been capped off to a certain temp on the shower, hence why I want to adjust.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If it’s a thermostatic shower (?) the hot temp will be factory set at a temp that most adults find just ok, certainly not over hot

As you’ve said, more noticeable in winter, likely to be that the cold water entering the valve is a whole lot colder right now so the shower struggles to maintain temp - you need to knock up temp but find it’s already on max

Showers can be rather fussy things and poor temp control can be attributed to several issues

No harm in starting with a cartridge descale - it’s just getting the item out ;)

5. MsJen

MsJen New Member

It's a manual mixer!

Ah yes that would make sense that the cold water is even colder in the winter.

I'll have to purchase a box spanner and will give it a go at loosening to get the cartridge out. I do wonder whether what I need to adjust the temp is behind that though, fingers crossed!

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What provides your hot water ?
    Is the cold supply to that valve directly from the mains ?

7. MsJen

MsJen New Member

A combi boiler for the hot water, and im not overly sure about the cold supply. I imagine direct from the mains though!?

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes, that's all good ,balanced pressures.

9. MsJen

MsJen New Member

So is it a matter of just adjusting the temperature valve once I locate it in the shower itself?

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Being a single lever manual shower valve, these are of a fairly basic design and I'm not so sure that there is any temperature adjustment within the valve itself or cartridge

May simply be a plastic limiter ring that sits under control knob and sets a max temperature by limiting travel of the knob

As in my first post, I was asking if you had instruction manual for shower as this would cover install, maintenance and trouble shooting

All valves may well operate slightly differently, do you have the make, model, instructions ?

If you have a combi boiler, both hot and cold will come via the boiler
    Depending on the rating of the boiler, you may also get reduced temperature and flow when other outlets are opened whilst shower is running

Combi boilers have plenty of plus points but also a few negatives also

11. MsJen

MsJen New Member