Shower repair - solenoid coil replaced, now leaks

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Hbon, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Hbon

Hbon New Member

Hi all - i have a mira sprint electric shower. A week or two ago it stopped working, had power, but no water. After some research i found that a faulty solenoid coil could be a sensible place to start. I ordered the part from Mira, and fitted it and was very happy as water flowed again!

HOWEVER!

Now there is a big leak in the shower unit as soon as the shower is turned on.

In my repair, I did not touch a great deal so i'm pretty stumped - only 2 things i can think of are a) that i turned the settings dial and it now doesn't align to the switching assembly (don't see why this would affect leaks) or b) in unscrewing parts of the unit to get to the solenoid, i may have loosened the valve clamp, but i have tightened that back up, could there have been slippage or something?

Any help appreciated.

Can share pictures if needed.

thanks
    Harry

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You may have caused the pressure relief valve to have opened.
    See if the water comes out a little pipe close to the shower outlet ( near the hose connection)

3. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

If you could describe what process you took to replaced the solenoid it may help us to pinpoint the most likely problem. Can’t say I’ve worked on your exact model, but don’t you have to pull out the entire internal assembly to be able to swap the solenoid? Didn’t you have to remove the valve clamp?
    If it’s only leaking when the shower is powered up, it’s probably not the valve clamp as it’s before the solenoid, so it’ll be something after the solenoid valve. Maybe you cracked a plastic part or displaced or dislodged a seal when you did the repair?
    You may have to pop off the front cover and run it live whilst the internals are exposed. (Obviously great care needs to be taken to avoid touching live connections if you choose to do this)
    Alternatively, working with the power and water off, gently taking off the cover may allow you to observe the source of the leak by merely looking at the highest point that is wet.