Shower trap keeps blocking up

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ArguableSteak, Jan 25, 2021.

1. ArguableSteak

ArguableSteak New Member

I had a new shower and tiled tray fitted about a year ago in the main bathroom.

The shower is very infrequently used but when we do use it, the shower drain trap blocks up after a single use. We need to remove the trap to have a shower without the water running out of the tray and on to the floor. This is inconvenient but more importantly, it doesn't trap hair! If we leave the trap out then we get the sewer smells rising up.

It seems like the smallest amount of hair completely blocks the trap but the mesh inside the trap doesn't appear to be too small.

Is this a case of replacing the trap or is there something more sinister going on?

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Have you tried giving your original installer a ring.
    If it has been like that from date fitted, you should have called before.
    Still maybe worth a call to him.

Can you pop up a picture of the Trap & cove?

3. ArguableSteak

ArguableSteak New Member

IMG_20210125_170850_resized_20210125_051047666.jpg IMG_20210125_170910_resized_20210125_051047418.jpg

Original installer has returned to Poland :(

4. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

If you pour a bucket of water into it, does it drain off easily or back up?

It maybe you have a restriction further along the pipe. Hair maybe?

5. ArguableSteak

ArguableSteak New Member

No it drains when trap basket is completely clean. Not super fast but it does drain. Its a wet room style tray so it doesn't take much to make it overflow out of the shower floor and onto the bathroom floor.

I think it's fair to say that a steeper run off would help but to change this would be a major undertaking!

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    in my view, its almost certain the waste pipe is not
    continuously falling,

good luck
    peter

7. Cal_0

Cal_0 New Member

I’d agree with this.

I removed a badly done en-suite shower in my house where the shower tray was on legs and they ran the waste pipe along the floor along the length of the room....

no fall on the pipe and the tray just used to fill up with water

8. Emily Evans

Emily Evans New Member

If you want to replace your shower drain system, you can check this website shower-drains.co.uk. I bought two drains with traps from ECT 2 years ago and I haven't had a problem with them so far.

9. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Don’t shave in the shower.