Shower tray cut into wall

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Emma88, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Emma88

Emma88 New Member

Hi all

I'm a so so DIYer and need help with where to go next with a job. We have ripped out an old showertray and old tiles and had a plumber fit a new tray. The old one was too big for the space so cut into the wall on all 3 sides. New one we bought was same size with view to put back in and fill gaps. I have used a mortar to fill the gaps as very large. Now this is set do I silicon where the tray meets mortar before tiling or just go straight in with the tiling and silicon after? Plus do i need to prime walls or use a waterproofing tape system?
    Tia

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I always tend to use acrylic primer on any porous surface before tiling etc.
    When I fitted a new tray recently I siliconed the sides before pushing it up against the wall, not strictly necessary but will add some extra stability and protection if water gets past the tile seal.

Edit: I see your tray is already fitted so a thin bead before tiling won't hurt.

Emma88 likes this.
  3. Emma88

Emma88 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I'll do a thin bead of sealant and prime before I tile.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you tile, use spacers between tray and bottom row of tiles

When you grout, don’t grout this gap at tray/tile junction

When grout is done and all polished up, fill this gap with silicon, not a bead at this stage, just fill the gap flush with tile with sili

When sili cured, then go ahead and seal tray as usual

Some time in the future, if the sili bead to tray fails in part, water may pass behind the sili bead but can’t then seep through the grout between tile/tray

So a 2nd line of defence in case of leaks .... showers are notorious for these at some stage during their working life :eek:

Emma88 likes this.