Shower Waste Help!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by LukeSki11, Oct 10, 2022.

1. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Hi All,

Currently stripping the bathroom, and the previous shower (located to the left in the photo) had the waste running above floorboards to the stack in the other corner.

Given the way the joists run, is there anyway I can get the waste from a low level shower across to the stack without going above the floorboards and boxing ect?

I really want to run it below for a better finish especially as we have the bulkhead in the bathroom anyway!

any ideas or advice appreciated:)

thanks!

2. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Photos

Attached Files:

3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

If you want a low level shower tray, the waste will have to exit below floor level and stay at that level.
    Without cutting into joists I don't think it's possible.

It might look better if the whole soil pipe wall was brought out level to accommodate some of the the pipework, but obviously it would mean losing some space and fitting a raised shower tray.

4. Ad_g

Ad_g Active Member

You would need to check the rules on where and how close to other holes/notches you could put another hole through the joists.

You’d want a 40mm drain from the shower which looking at the size of joists is pushing the limit of the size of hole you can put in your joist. How big is the joist?

Looking at how busy that floor is already and the number of notches and holes I don’t think you’d be able to get a drain in without compromising the strength of the joists beyond the limits, you’d also need to ensure you can get the run downhill to the boss on the soil stack.

What is the other side of the end wall where the toilet was? In my case it is another bathroom and bless the builders they had the drain running uphill into the soil stack, to fix that I had to do swap the bathrooms round on the soil stack which reduced the fall for the shower.

My before and after are below, my stairs don’t have a sloping bulkhead like yours so the shower is over them. In your case maybe have a false wall/shelf into the corner to hide the cistern and drain? So like mine but carry on to the corner?

B4CE47AF-9EEE-4B95-810A-9E7B5C393A65.jpeg 8DA134F5-051E-40FE-8999-BB01F3373C6E.jpeg