sign off and bc

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jonob, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. jonob

    jonob Member

    Hi new build been living in it for 5 years , ready to get sign off , old bc who u could talk to has moved on new bc is a T**T.

    most things done , best lounge and spare bedroom are plasterboarded but not skimmed , he says they need to be skimmed ( if this right)

    wheel chair access.- driveway is 6inch concrete with cobbled setts on top , path to front door is level , but as setts are not finished to the path ( to front door) this wont do. A little ramp from drive to sett height would be 4 inch.(he wont allow this)

    Can anyone reccomend a different company ( NHBC etc) who will sign it off and be understanding .

    we are in west lancs.

    There is no rush as we aint selling , but just want it all done. :);)
  2. ­

    ­ New Member

    You can hire a surveyor to sign off the work. I know some builders who employ (hire) a private BCO for all their projects as they get to know what they can/can't "get away with" by using the same guy all the time (regardless of area).

    Council BCOs can be inconsistent and this is their worst fault.

    Where you find a private BCO I have no idea.
  3. bapon 1

    bapon 1 New Member

    Hi. If you employ a new inspector then the chances are that you will have to open up lots of the work you have already done, foundations any beams etc if they will even consider it at all. Why don't you just finish the work then ask for a completion inspection?
  4. inkpad

    inkpad New Member

    thats the trouble with this world, theres just no understanding

    I think theres no chance you can get anyone other than the council to sign it off and new houses need level access so thats what you should do
  5. bapon 1

    bapon 1 New Member

    I agree with inkpad but the bottom line is the building regs are a minimum standard. If you took your car for an MOT you wouldn't collect it half way through and say 'that will do'. The build has to be completed fully for everyones sake! The guy is just doing his job.
  6. joinerjohn

    joinerjohn New Member

    Bapo0n, surely earlier work has already been passed and signed off, Therefore there's no need to open up previous work. ???
  7. Teuchter

    Teuchter New Member

    Jonob, if it's only these two issues, surely best have a look at how to sort them - rather than starting almost from square one again. And, I guess you've paid the council for this upfront anyways?

    As far as the skimming is concerned, just wait until it's done before asking to have the completion cert issued. You say you ain't in a hurry.

    As for the path, what solutions are open to you in order to comply? Which of these solutions is the least intrusive/costly/undo-able?

    If there is one, then do it, get it passed, and return your path to the normal way it was. Yours won't be the only house in the world with a 4" step...

    If a wheelchair user buys or visits your house regularly after sale, then let them sort it to suit...
  8. bapon 1

    bapon 1 New Member

    joinerjohn, would you pass someone one's work that you havent seen and pass it as your own?????
  9. London 2012

    London 2012 New Member

    i have had this issue bapon. The fact that a previous BCO has passed of the work is sufficient. It is their name that is on that stage of the job, not yours. You will be looking at subsequential work.
  10. bapon 1

    bapon 1 New Member

    london, the origional post was about having someone else sign off an incomplete build and this will not happen.teucher, read Part M !!!!
  11. Teuchter

    Teuchter New Member

    My recommendation, bapon, was that he continues with the council's BC.

    (And I've no idea what Part M says...)
  12. bapon 1

    bapon 1 New Member

    Teuchter, if you dont know what Part M says how can you advise someone on the subject?
  13. ecm

    ecm New Member

    Jonob you can appoint private Building Inspectors who have the authority to sign off work, just as LABC would. They are often more flexible and amenable to the requirements of you as "the client" which local authority building control officers often forget.

    However, from the sounds of things you have already started the BRegs process through LABC and therefore must complete the process with your LABC. I am 99.99% sure you cannot start BRegs with LABC and then switch to a private building inspector half way through.

    If you want to use a private building inspector you need to appoint them at the start of your project.
  14. joinerjohn

    joinerjohn New Member

    bapon, you miss the point of my post. Surely as a new build, some work has already been signed off by the previous building inspector. Now the new building inspector can't insist on inspecting the work already passed by his own department. I'm ready to be shot down in flames for this but I'm 99% sure that the building department of local councils don't send the same inspector out to the same jobs, all of the time.
  15. joinerjohn

    joinerjohn New Member

    bapon, hypothetical situation here. You start a new build, get the foundations passed,get the footings in, build up to roof height, get the roof on, etc etc etc. All passed by the building inspector. He then either retires or is hospitalised. Does this then mean the new building inspector can never sign off the build?? I don't think so.
  16. ­

    ­ New Member

    On some bigger jobs we never see the same inspector twice. However all the inspectors fill in the relevant page in the council file for the job so whoever 'signs it off' at the end has no interest in what has been seen (and approved) earlier in the project.
  17. manassa

    manassa New Member

    The skimming issue is rubbish and the ramp issue is nitpicking.Tell him to sign it off or come back next year,if your not selling its his problem.In a years time you,ll probably get a reasonable inspector who will sign it off.
  18. Mr GrimNasty

    Mr GrimNasty Active Member

    The skimming may not be rubbish - if he is referring to specific locations where it may be required to meet fire resistance.

    It is all nit picking, but thems the rules and like so many things where bureaucrats and petty rules are involved, it is just easier to conform than fight the system.
  19. joinerjohn

    joinerjohn New Member

    Worst building inspector I came across was some years ago. I had done the roof on an extension. When the timberwork was complete I told the owner to get the BC in to pass the roof. 2 days later the homeowner phones me saying the roof had not been passed by BC.

    I phoned the BC up and asked why it hadn't passed. He reckoned one of the hips was resting on the external brickwork (which it wasn't as I had to cut out to accomodate the brickwork)

    I asked him if he had used a ladder to have a look (only ground floor ext) "Oh no mate, I dont get paid to climb up ladders" ??

    Why he chose a career as a BC I'll never know. I told him the hip didn't rest on the brickwork and he says , tell the homeowner, I'll pass the roof, He can get the tiler in to cover it.
    WTF, don't climb ladders?? Perhaps he should have gone to Specsavers then ..

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice