Silcone or Trim - what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Crumbs, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Hi all, what do you prefer to use / recommend for the gap between the bath and the tiles when a shower is in the mix. I was going to use the trusty silicone route but was considering sealux pro 25 but wasn't sure if its a good idea or not. :eek:o_O

2. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

I've never seen a sealer trim that actually works. And they always look like a throwback to the seventies to me. Silicone every time, and it can be replaced easily if it goes manky.

longboat, RolandK and btiw like this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It depends what on the size of the gap you are trying to seal. Sometimes, if you have badly fitted bath with anything more than 5mm down the sides a piece of trim whilst not perfect is one of the better ways, you still have to seal round the top and bottom with some white mould resistant sealer.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You can get a tile trim that has an upstand to go behind the tiles which is useful if you do have a large gap to cover. Have used them on occasion to get me out the s***! :)

5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

The trim is the first thing to discolour, and always looks manky.

6. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Thanks guys, think i will shy away from trims, gaps not huge once tiles/addy goes on

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Whilst on the subject of sealant....(if you don't mind me butting into this thread!)

Which do you recommend for keeping its colour. (white)
    They seem to last for a while then go yuk. Specially round window frames.

8. Dave Smyth

Dave Smyth New Member

I think you are referring to soft-lip seals that do indeed discolour, Sealux seals do not have a soft-lip and the trims never discolour, why they are better than exposed silicone and believe me I have done the research ;-) is because they allow for movement whilst protecting the silicone, correct me if I am wrong but there is no other seals that do this, and installed Cladseal for wall panels and sealux 25 for a tiled bathrooms and would happily use them again.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I hate exposed silicon in a shower because it always goes manky. For the past 20 years I have used soft-lip seals by homelux or similar https://www.wickes.co.uk/Homelux-Bath-Seal-Pro-White/p/141193 and I've found white stays white enough. With silicon underneath, and in the ends and joints, you can hide away any exposed silicon and the trim cleans up easily for years. The thing to watch is that water doesn't flow along the top of the trim where the tile meets it and then flows off the end, but if you know about this, it's easy to prevent. Each to their own, but I'll carry on using trims.

10. Dave Smyth

Dave Smyth New Member

yeah hate bare silicone too, I used the homelux trims before but they do not allow for joint movement like the sealux ones do, also, I found that the the little lip losses its colour and its elasticity meaning it lo longer keeps a downward pressure on the tray,. for the safe of a few extra quid I'll go with the sealux ones, as you say- each to their own :)