Silicon Failure

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bathroom boy, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Iv'e been using everbuild silicon for quite a while now, but just recently Iv'e been called back to couple of jobs where the silicon has not bonded to the shower tray,the most recent was a shower cabin where the stuff just peeled off in complete strips, going back in few days to allow everything to dry off, need a better silicon than I'm using any recommendations, Thanks.

2. It may well be that there were traces of the release agent for the moulding operation.

I always used to wipe down with a solvent (not white spirit) before applying silicon.

3. Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon New Member

Have you tried Plumbers gold available in white and clear so far not had a problem.

4. freecall

freecall Member

I only use dow corning. not the cheapest but certainly the best.valid point about the mould release agent!

5. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Here's a good tip for you Nurse Loz; Give the area you are going to silicone a rub with sandpaper, it'll still like sh.te to a hairy blanket then!! Oh & another one, take the protective film of before applying silicone, that helps.

Hows the wifes thrush Loz??

6. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Sorry, it should read 'stick' not 'still'. I'm correcting the above just for you Nurse Loz, as I know you're a bit hard of thinking.

7. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Never had a problem in the past, strange how in the last few months this has come about, just got a refund on 23 tubes of the stuff, I have lost confidence in this brand now, will try some Dow Corning.

8. freecall

freecall Member

Give dow a try, but to be honest apart from the cheap s@@t going black i have never had a problem with any sealant, well apart from doesnt stick well to mermaid/cheaper branded aqua panels, but in my opinion these 8 by 4 sheets of poo should be banned, look good by a fitters nightmare!

9. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

I've just switched over to Dow Corning from Everbuild, the latter is supposed to be mould resistant but in our shower at home it has now gone black (always rinsed after use). I still use the cheaper Everbuild for 'glueing' purposes and then use the good stuff on top.

Do you use washing up liquid Bathroom Boy? I find that sometimes the silicone will not adhere to the surface if washing up liquid gets under it.

10. freecall

freecall Member

If its dry,the area to be sealed that it! when the sealant is gunned on i wouldnt have thought the fairy liquid could not effect the bond ??? :] but who knows?

11. Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon New Member

DP I know its difficult for you but do please try not to be such acunt. A question was asked I gave my opinion, the original op can either be interested in it or ignore it. Such as I ignore your drivel.

12. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

was the tray properly supported ?? otherwise any movement will break the seal. that said i have had odd ones where the tray is that shiny its not took so have cleaned and wet and dried it to roughen slightly, i use pulsars silicone bit stiffer than others so doesn't drag when tooling the same, tried s/f 's but far too sloppy , ok for bonding stuff though

13. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

This is one of those crappy shower cabins of which I hate fitting, used the silicon on all the panels, where the panel meets the tray the silicon had not bonded causing water to get out through the back probably a bit of capillary action there too, I used too use pulser silicon when I was at Dolphin it was good stuff imo.

14. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

DOW 785 is the best. BUT poor preparation and poor cleanliness is the usual cause of joint failure - and possibly movement?

15. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

bathroom boy did you work for dolphin or sub contract ?? what area

16. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

I worked for them paye, Cheshire area.

17. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

you had a little volkswagen van ?? you still in cheshire ?

18. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Thats correct,I had a VW Transporter, why did you work for them?

19. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Resealed it with Dow Corning, I hate shower cabins, will not do anymore they are usually cheap and nasty and what does the customer do if the mixer fails as they won't be able to get spares for it.

20. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

work for them?

i was subbing for them when they took on the cards in guys, what a disaster that was , you pay guys to be off sick and wonder why they are always off sick !! only good part of the firm was the remedial money they would pay for fixing the cock ups !!