Silicon tile & painted wood.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SykesIT, Nov 16, 2020.

1. SykesIT

SykesIT Member

Not sure who to ask but I have situation in bathroom where I need to silicone between wall tiles and painted wood covering the toilet pipe, basically boxed in pipework.

Am I ok using standard bathroom silicone sealant like you do around bath. I ask as I have used silicone before on painted wood and seems to peal at edges of too thin.

If it wasn't tile I wood use decorators caulk and gloss over to seal but can't do that with tile.

Thanks

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Adhesion is unlikely to be a problem with silicone if applied properly. However it means any further painting will be difficult.
    Caulk shouldn't be an issue with tiles, or you could use an acrylic sealant.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use an exterior paintable frame sealant Geocel Top Gun will be ok.

4. SykesIT

SykesIT Member

The only reason I wasn't going to use caulk is I was concerned it would go mouldy in a bathroom without over painting.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not sure of the exact set up but it’s basically where timber boxing meets tiles ,,,, yes ?

Are these junctions 90 degree angles (or there abouts) Like where a kitchen worktop meets the tiled splashback ?

If yes to the above, then either caulk and then overpaint with whatever is on the pipe boxing. Get a neat paint line at tile edge and any paint on tiles can be cleaned off easy enough (unless there unglazed tiles)

‘Most’caulks dry a little grey so not sure how this will look if you don’t paint

When you say previously that silicon has peeled at edges as too thin -
    Sounds like your shaping the sili with a finger and then yes, at the edges you get whispy thin silicon that does peel

If above is how you’ve previously applied the silicon, then it’s the wrong method at fault and not necessarily the silicon

Silicon at a 90 degree junction should end up as a perfect wedge shape with no thin edges but a solid, triangle of silicon in the joint

The way to achieve this is by using a silicon profile tool - many on the market, SF sell several, look on You Tube for tutorials

Also consider a coloured silicon (if your going this route) as depending on colour scheme of tiles and pipe boxing, white isn’t always the best choice

Again SF sell a few, many more colours available online

Post of picture of the area, usually helps - good luck

6. SykesIT

SykesIT Member

So when I silicone i tend to tape both sides and smooth off with my finger yes. Am I better not using tape as hard to get perfect position for wedge and just work with the silicone wedges as they scrape off the excess.

The issue sometimes is the walls aren't always even so getting the best wedge size can be difficult.

I use Unibond bathroom silicone. So would you suggest silicone or caulk and paint with gloss to match the boxing?

Here is a picture of the boxing in.

[​IMG]

Thanks

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok, great to see a picture and the set up and it’s pretty much how I imagined

Shaping the sili with a wet finger isn’t the best method / although it’s been done for ever and still is and happens on a daily basis I’m sure

Trouble is, you don’t get that nice wedge shape and often end up with a concave shape and those thin edges that tear

Two things when using sili;
    It’s gotta be neat

It often highlights the junction so draws the eye to the area - using a colour other than white can help here but depends on colour scheme of background

For me, I would caulk the gaps, twice as first application will dry and shrink back

Caulk is water based and easier to use and tidy up with a damp finger/sponge

Can either fill gaps and finish level and flat with pipe boxing or again, use a profile tool and go for that neat, triangular wedge shape

Once fully dry (don’t believe the 1 hour paintable claims) leave overnight and repaint boxing and caulk - not a big job is it :)

Painting up to tiles is the same as ‘cutting in’ during decorating where wall meets door frame, wall to ceiling, wall to skirts, etc

Nice looking bathroom from what we see so it’s great your aiming for a neat finish and attention to detail - sadly lacking with too many people these days

So caulk, 2 applications, profile, dry, paint, post pictures of your masterpiece :D

8. SykesIT

SykesIT Member

Thanks will do that as prefer to use caulk.

I have tarted bathroom best I can as previous owner never did anything.

Would you do same around window were beading meets wall. I would do same caulk and paint caulk.

[​IMG]

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yes caulk again around windows and sill, easier to work with and again, can then paint right up to and including caulk line

That way you get an invisible seam between wall and trim around window

When you silicone around the trim, this junction becomes more noticeable - even more so if the silicone is messy

Caulk or acrylic frame sealant, both over-paintable