Silicone smoothing

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Jay459, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Thinking of buying one of these smoothing tool, i can do a decent job with my finger but these seem to make the job less messy.

Im wondering if i should get the straight or concave joint, not sure if theres a particular profile for certain tasks??

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Watch this, all you need to know

The Teach likes this.
  3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Fugi profiles.

Some silicone needs a mist spray of water with a tiny drop of fairy liquid to help the Fugi profile tool glide seamlessly.

Practice makes perfect :D

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I bought a cheap copy from Lidl. Worked fine for me.

5. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Use old credit card, shape accordingly.

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Use you’re finger. But also use soapy water , little bit washing up liquid in warm water. It stops the silicon sticking to ur fingers

7. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

Also accelerates bacteria growth

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I was very dubious of these things until I tried them: dog's doodads! Make a job I hate ok. I went concave.

9. timotay

timotay Active Member

Been using them for ages. If you see the video and still want to use a finger...there is something serious wrong....lol

10. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I have been using this one from our sponsors with good results. I always had problems with internal corners but this makes it much easier. These ones do wear out after a bit of use though (as does everything of course), the profile then leaves lines so expect to replace every now and again; can't be more specific than now and again I am afraid. Comes with a handy tool for cutting the tubes and a separate removal tool. The thin handle makes it easy to get behind taps.