Silk to Matt

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jacobite, Jan 7, 2017.

1. jacobite

jacobite Member

Hi there,
    I would like to change the walls that are painted in silk to matt. Do I need to after prep work to paint the wall in a mid sheen emulsion prior to using the matt paint to prevent in cracking. I also want to strip a wallpapered wall and paint. I have read that after stripping I need to paint the wall with a oil based paint to seal the wall before painting with emulsion.
    Thanking you for your assistance in these questions.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good question! to be honest I have applied matt over silk and its been fine, also I have had it craze, a wash over with sugar soap will provide a good key and it will probably be ok but having said that a sugar soap wash and rinse off followed by a coat of soft sheen would be the way to go to remove any doubt.

With the wallpaper question the wall does not need sealing with an oil based primer sealer providing the wall is completely clean of any wallpaper residue that would have soaked into the plaster, it can be a real job washing off the residue, the advice given on other posts to use primer sealer is because people on those posts hadn't cleaned the walls enough resulting in the emulsion paint bubbling. Check out Zinsser paints for suitable sealers.