Single lever tap handle

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Simonthepieman, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Has anyone got any tips to get a stuck single lever tap handle off?
    And before anyone states the obvious, yes, I have undone the grub screw. The bloody thing is just stuck hard.

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

First spray some WD40 into the end of the handle.
    Then use a rubber mallet, or the rubber coated shaft of a hammer, to gently tap all around the handle without damaging it, but still enough to hopefully eventually release it from the spindle.
    Can take an hour with some of them in my experience, - not joking.
    I probably would avoid using flame heat from a torch (blow lamp) on the handle, but you could try heating it some other method

3. It's a single lever, the kind that does both hot and cold, see image, nowhere to spray wd40, so my usual methods and the ones you suggested aren't suitable for this type. The spindle it's stuck on is plastic so heat is not an option.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Heat likes this.
  4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

WD 40 ,point the tube into the hole where grub screw came out. Leave it for 20 mins. Pouring very hot water over the handle can help expand it .

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Can i just remind you guys that normal WD40 is mainly a moisture dispersant and is NOT really a penetrant fluid....or lube.
    That's why they have a special one for the job.

366317.jpeg

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Try 2 large flat blade screwdrivers or couple old knackered chisels slipped under handle and between tap body

Trick is to lever handle upwards with equal pressure from 2 sides at the same time

If you just lever from one side, handle seems to grip into plastic cartridge even more

Work around the handle, wherever you can get tools into gap, but always from
    2 opposit sides

So yes, liberal squirt of 40 through screw hole, then 2 ‘levers’ and twist them at same time

Couple kettle fulls of boiling water over handle also worth trying

Agree, no blow torch. Handle sits onto plastic cartridge so this ain’t gonna help :eek:

Good luck

Tip - put plug in hole before removing grub screw - they have a tendency to head straight for the U bend !

Heat likes this.
  7. retiredsparks

Yea, the metal chisels on chrome plating should do the trick...if not big stilsons.
    RS

Heat likes this.
  8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Sometimes it is either the levering with a couple of big flat blade screwdrivers or new tap. No choice sometimes.
    Depends on condition of tap tbh.
    Stilsons, I know you are joking. ;)

DIYDave. likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you a total knob or just a pain in the arris (at the best of times)

How much are we expected to spoon feed people ??

Yeah happy to help with some advice and yes, I’ve used this method myself

How difficult is it to wrap ends of screwdrivers/chisels in masking tape/kitchen roll/rag/etc

Problem solved
    Easy innit
    Is that understood RS ? :)

10. retiredsparks

Probably regarded as a pain..most times....particularly when correcting someone or pointing out inadequate/ incorrect/bad advice to guest DIYers.... who don't know much about this stuff.

Things are not always obvious...like using WD40 as a penetrating fluid...instead of....'penetrating fluid'.......until someone with knowledge, experience and formal training points it out.
    Most DIYers do need spoon feeding.
    It is hard being blessed with Common Sense....as most people don't have it.
    Lets hope you dont end up sleeping with the fish.
    Capice ?
    RS

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What possible relevance to this post can the above quote from The Godfather have

I’m really struggling to see the connection here

Is it maybe that you see yourself as some kind of mafia boss, sitting at your keyboard making pathetic threats whilst giving yourself a hard on (if your still capable) :confused:

As I said above ........ knob

You can take the cotton wool outta ur cheeks now RS

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What you doing looking at RS's cheeks? :oops:

retiredsparks likes this.
  13. Now, now children, play nicely. RS, I was simply asking if anyone had any tips. Not to be patronised. I'm not a DIYer, but I often have problems with these devils so I was just wondering what other plumbers do when the bleeders don't want to play.
    Anyway, I've done the job, with screwdrivers and without your penetrating fluid - and a fair bit of brute force. Thanks all.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Good to hear that you’ve got the tap head off, was it like I said, using screwdrivers as levers ?

Now it’s off, guessing it’s a cartridge problem ?

So next job, matching up a replacement :)

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheeks as in face Astra ...,,,, not as in Arris :)

Still don’t get the relevance of the film quote though with regards to removing a tap head :confused:

16. Yes, definitely the cartridge. I've never seen one in quite so many bits.
    Can't get one locally today. Lovely tiled bath panel so no chance of isolating the tap. Fortunately the tap is like the one in the picture I posted. Took the mixer off the stems and popped a couple of 3/4" blanking caps on. Customer has a shower so everyone's happy until the new cartridge arrives. Jobs a good 'un.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018