Single or Double pole RCBO

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seavigil, Dec 24, 2003.

1. seavigil

seavigil New Member

Just couple of quickies-

looking at the Wylex spec sheets and Noticed that the NH range of RCBO's are single pole, Are these suitable to use as protection of ring mains on a PME supply. Because I'm stuck for space I don't want to make the CU any wider than necessary.

Can a fused connection unit be part of a ring or does it have to be on a spur (ie are the terminals at the back rated 32A as are those on double sockets)

Seasonal Greetings
    DJW

2. sparkydude

sparkydude Member

Hi i believe what they mean when you say single pole is that they fit into one module of the fuse board not two, i believe that all the wylex rcbos work in the same way so it should be fine for a PME supply.Yes a switch spurs terminals are rated at 30A so they are fine to install on a ring main

Hope this helps

Nick

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi

As far as I can tell the NH range are not RCBO's but MCCB's ie they do not combine overcurrent protection and residual current protection like an RCBO does. If you do want to use RCBO's they can be supplied in single module units to save space on the busbar, however, they will have two terminals to connect as usual...see part numbers NSBS-/1 and PSBS-/1

Unless you have a specific reason for using an RCBO it would be perfectly okay to use an MCB, as your supply is PME (TN-C-S) the Rolls Royce of supplies! The RCD protection would normally be critical for circuits supplying hand held equipment for use out doors for example or electric shower circuits. No harm in using one though just not strictly necessary.

Also as sparkydude said fcu is okay on a ring final

RSS

4. lensman

lensman New Member

As far as I can tell the NH range are not RCBO's but
    MCCB's ie they do not combine overcurrent protection
    and residual current protection like an RCBO does. If
    you do want to use RCBO's they can be supplied in
    single module units to save space on the busbar,
    however, they will have two terminals to connect as
    usual...see part numbers NSBS-/1 and PSBS-/1

The NH range does include RCBOs - I've very recently bought a couple from it. Get their catalogue at

http://www.electrium.co.uk/download.asp#poswylex

Annoyingly the same part number is also used for RCBOs from the older NS range (though they're labelled MCD-RCD devices), so it's pot-luck what you get if you just order by part number - you need to explicitly specify NH to the wholesaler and check it when you collect it. The NH ones have nicer terminals for connecting the cables, so definitely go for them rather than NS.

Weirdly, the NH RCBOs look identical to the Volex RCBOs supplied by Screwfix for about 10 quid less (30 instead of 40 quid) - other than having Wylex written on them rather than Volex. Has anyone bought both to know if they are indeed identical other than the tenner premium for having Wylex stamped on the gadget?

5. seavigil

seavigil New Member

There is too many places where extension leads get plugged in and taken outside, so I thought a RCBO on the two rings would be cheaper than RDC sockets everywhere.

DJW

6. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

Wylex and Volex MCB/RCBO/RCD's are made in the same Electrium Ltd's Factories, but stamped differently, take a closer look at some and you will see what I mean.