Single oven on ring circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ODDJOB, Dec 4, 2010.

1. ODDJOB

ODDJOB Guest

Hi,

My oven has packed up and I was surprised to see it has just been connected with a 13A plug to the ring circuit (although I know some ovens are connected this way).

The oven I am looking at is a Neff B14M42N0GB.  It is not clear as to whether it needs to be hardwired or not.

Its total rating is 2.8kW.  Therefore by my calculation (2800/230 = 12.17A) so should be able to be fitted with a plug.

Is this correct, or is this cutting it fine?

Note: Installing a new dedicated circuit is not an option.

Also, do these ovens generally come supplied with a power cord attached, or will an electrician need to attach one?

Many thanks in advance.

2. petersugg

petersugg New Member

Most ovens will come with a flex attached.
    Simply replace the socket you have currently with a fuse spur and "hard-wire" it in.

No need to install a new curcuit for such a small load.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Beg to differ, petersugg. Most electric ovens do not come with a flex attached. For example, double ovens and ovens/cookers rated over 3kW are supplied without any flex attached because they require a suitable 45A circuit and sutable rated wiring. And it is not necessary to replace the socket and plug arrangement either for the single oven. It is perfectly acceptable to plug it in and it makes for easier disconnection in future instead of faffing around with a hard wired arrangement.

That particular Neff oven may not come with a flex and plug attached so you should seek advice from the supplier. If it requires hard wiring then petersuggs answer applies.

4. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

As far as I know a fused spur, or separate isolator, is not required on an oven under 3kW.  Is that the case?  It is just the same as plugging in an electric kettle.

On a further note. A neighbour wants more worktop sockets. They have a cooker isolator switch and 13A socket combined (in a double box).  And the same for the gas hob, which only has an ignition.  Like these:

[​IMG]

They want to replace with with double sockets and spur off to the oven and hob.  Is that OK?
    thx

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some people might construe the above as a ''Reg Breach''

I say.......woteva.

6. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Very colourful tiles JP

7. pearcy

pearcy New Member

TRY MANUFACTURE INSTRUCTIONS

8. clear as mud

clear as mud New Member

you cannot compare a 2.8kw electric oven to a kettle ***.  How long does a 3kw kettle take to boil?
    and how long will your christmas turkey take to cook?
    other differences are obviouly the size, the clock, a door on the front, oh and the fact that one is a fixed load (ie not a portable appliance)

See BS7671 Appendix 15 item 1 (iii)

9. J.P.

J.P. New Member

The missus chose those tiles Wal..was a bit of a hassle deciding  how to lay them..but decided in the end on a symmetrical approach as a random lay would have looked horrible. (laid various patterns out on the floor first)

On a serious note Wal..if I do decide on an extension and  tile the kitchen area in the said, then never again will I have FCU's on the tiles..I envisage just having a SG cooker switch and nothing else except of course the double ganger SO's. All FCU's will either be in the base or top cabs..I have mis-read readily accessible isolation and ended up with quite a few FCU's on the tiles which detracts from the finished tile aesthetics..a failure on my part due to taking readily accessible isolation to literally.

10. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I would prefer spurs above JP as you have done, it makes testing much simpler & isolation to.  The problem with multi coloured tiles its a job to blend the accessories in.    I personally would leave spaces between all items above the worktop so that they are broken up with colour.  It also helps if the type of accessory blends in.   I enclose a pic of my kitchen to show you what I mean.   Not perfect as they could have been more central to the tile but it gives you some idea for the future
    [​IMG]

11. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Cheers Wal. As per your pic have done that in most of the kitchens  (if not all, cant remember much about the jobs as long time back) on my re-wires so our techniques with respect to this are similar. What kind of tiles are those Wal?..are they sandstone by any chance? (laptop screen is nearly finished, so cannot pick detail out of pic as screen very dim) Remember way back tiling with I think it was either limestone or sandstone 4in x 4in and having to seal them first before grouting.

Also next time might think about using metal furniture Wal as you have done..as white plastic does seem a bit ''samey' I suppose.

Good stuff Wal..and thanks M8.