single skin brick work problem.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by smithybora, Nov 22, 2009.

1. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Hi guys.

Wonder if you can help.

I built a garage for a customer. The customer only wanted a single brick garage to help gain more space inside.

Due to bad wheather and how the garage faces string winds and rain. There is alot of mosture coming through the wall,

Is there anything that can be applied to the outsude like a water repellant.

I tried to go wider with the garage to gain the extra space ot put in a cavity wall by i had to stay within the 3 meters party wall from the next house.

thanks
    tony

2. figaro

figaro New Member

looks like you * up then.!!!!

[Edited by: admin]

3. smithybora

smithybora New Member

In What way.

I done the spec to drawings and planning, that had all been passed and have also had the garage signed off by the council.

tony

4. figaro

figaro New Member

but you've got a wet wall.!!!!!!!bad planning in my book matey

5. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Smithy, pay no attention to figaro, he's the forum troll now.( will be banned soon by SF)
    Try Thompsons Waterseal. Brushes on to the external brickwork. Should stop it , but does need re-doing occasionally.

6. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Batten/membrane/cladding - could even get some insulation in there.

7. figaro

figaro New Member

take no notice of these odd job merchants any advice they give is useless.

what you need to do is rebuild the garage to a position wher you can incorporate a cavity wall.

lot of work, yes, but you should have taken into account the effect of the weather before you built it.

perhaps next job you do, you will give it a lot more thought.

8. figaro

figaro New Member

by the way, as a master builder myself, and even tho we are inundated with work, as a favour I could start on the rebuild tomorrow.

9. Mr GrimNasty

Master something beginning with 'b', but it isn't builder.

Haven't you got some goats to harass Mr Troll Figaro?

10. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Thanks for the advice.

I know the planning might not of been the best. It was all passed as thats what the customer wanted. He stated no cavity wall. So i done what i could.

Will do the sealant first, and see what that looks like. Worse case is a small timber cavity wall in the inside with battern. Membrane.

thanks guys.

11. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

As you say, start with the easiest solution - water repellent. Brush it generously along the mortar lines in particular, but the walls need to be dry first...

(Yeah, I know - that's all granny egg-sucking stuff.)

If you do need to add a timber/block frame at a future date, I'm guessing you would also have to provide a means of allowing any trapped water to escape to the outside at the bottom?

12. Mr GrimNasty

I actually meant clad the outside to save internal space and keep the brickwork dry.

You can get cladding that looks like brick/pebbledash/anything.

Or fairly thin insulation/render systems.

13. jedward

jedward New Member

don't be daft.

14. Mr GrimNasty

jedward = figaro

Go away troll boy.

15. imran_

imran_ New Member

Can you really still build a single skin garage??? Wow.

16. fitero

fitero New Member

You can if like me,you use a good stiff mortar mix especiaaaaaaaaalllly.....11

17. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Smithybora, I'm guessing it's 'brick' because the customer also wants the brick appearance?

If he can cope with a painted finish, then just have it rendered.

18. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

or look at the marley cedral cladding or hardi plank, wood effect cement based pre finished weather proof claddings! ;)