Single Skin Wall - HELP!

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by S_dave, Feb 7, 2021.

1. S_dave

S_dave New Member

Hi Guys,

I bought my house 2 years ago. It is a circa 1870’s mid terrace standard house which had a 2 storey extension added in the very early 1900’s.

When I bought it there was no issue, mortgage valuation was fine and for peace of mind I had a structural survey done which came back with usual stuff for a property of this age (bit of damp in the original walls but not the slightly newer extension) but nothing detrimental to the structure of the building, he in fact said it was in excellent condition for a property of its age and he has no major concerns.

Anyway, 2 years on I have accepted an offer on the house but her mortgage company have refused to lend because the 2 storey extension is apparently single skin which was the first I’d heard about it despite the structural survey just 2 years ago. The valuer is definitely wrong in part as the side wall is 9inch’s thick solid brick across both floors but on further investigation it looks like the rear wall is about 6/7inches thick on both storeys. One brick, rendered on the outside and studded with insulation upstairs. Normally with single skin rooms you can tell as it is freezing and damp but we haven’t had this issue in the 2 rooms that are supposedly one brick so it didn’t even cross my mind.

So I guess my question is, where do I stand with this? I have sent the new buyer the structural survey for her to send to her mortgage company so What are the chances they overrule the mortgage valuer’s opinion with the new evidence. If not, do I have a right to claim against the surveying company for missing a crucial aspect of the buildings structure? And finally, if it looks like it’s a major problem, what are my options to reinforce the wall that is there?

the wall is in great condition, no movement over the last 100 years, no damp or condensation comes through and it is not buckled in anyway.

It’s a bit strange because all the houses on my street and the surrounding streets are all the same and nobody has ever had an issue mortgaging this house or any of the surrounding ones before so it came as a bit of a surprise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!