Sink Cupboard - Water damage - Symphony Kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Bigshow, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Bigshow

Bigshow New Member

Hi all

I’m after some advice please. We have moved into a new build just over a year ago and it has a Symphony kitchen fitted. However, due to a leak the under sink, some water damage has occurred to the base ( see pics)

my question is can this base be replaced or is a case of replacing the whole cabinet?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

What is damaged the plinth or the bottom where the mass of cleaning products sit?

Muzungu likes this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Looks like it's just the plinth, soaked in through the unsealed cut edge, although I would be wary of what hidden damage it has done to the cabinet.

If it's just the plinth it should be very easy to replace. Normally just clip off and then the new one cut to size and clipped back on.

Bigshow likes this.
  4. Bigshow

Bigshow New Member

No it’s the bottom of the cabinet

here is a better picture

Attached Files:

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

The bottom shelf?

If so, you could cut it out and fix a new shelf in. Can be done.

Bigshow likes this.
  6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Looks like the base rather than a shelf so depending on where exactly it is either a new base unit or cut out the damaged section and lay something on top which you will only see when the doors are open. Sheet of Ali chequer plate?

Bigshow likes this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Shelf, base. Same thing as its the bottom 'shelf / support'.

Just cut it out and replace with a suitable piece.

Bigshow likes this.
  8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

What caused the leak? Is it something you should be claiming against the house builder?

It can be replaced but it's a bit of a chore because you'll have to remove the legs and cut through the dowels to separate the base from the sides. Then you've got to secure the new base to the sides somehow without the fixings showing (either from the sides (more work) or the underneath (really cramped)) but still be strong enough to support the sink/worktop. The old style Howdens legs would have been useful as they supported both the base and the side by design.

Edit: You could use pocket holes from inside the cupboard and hide them with the aluminium plate I suppose.

Edit 2: I think the legs that our host sells will also support both but I cba to go and check in the workshop at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Bigshow likes this.
  9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

If it were me, i would cut out the base / shelf, fix battens to each side and slide new base / shelf in.

Bigshow likes this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Depends on the construction of the cabinets - could be wooden dowels and also metal cams and pegs. If so, ideally cabinet needs removing to gain access to side panels

But as base damaged anyway, can be cut away to expose fixings (be they whatever) with cabinet in situ

Centre post also needs removing and that’s likely to be dowelled in place

New base cut and held in place from underneath with either metal strap brackets or plywood strips - screwed from underneath to sides of cabinet (pre screwed to underneath of new base) Fiddly as only what, 150mm gap where plinth sits ? Approx
    But doable with a stubby screwdriver

Depends on who’s doing the job and if they can be bothered with a repair

If insurance job, then likely bigger job with complete new unit and no mention of a repair

Maybe your looking as a diy job ?

critor and Bigshow like this.
  11. Bigshow

Bigshow New Member

Thank you all for your replies. This has been very useful

WillyEckerslike likes this.