Sink Locking Nut not securing the sink faucet, any alternative ideas?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mo Ali, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Mo Ali

Mo Ali New Member

Hello,

I had recetly fitted a new sink tap. It sits on the sink well and the sink is put in place by a brass flange nut that was provided with the Tap. (See picture 1) The problem is, the sink still moves and wobbles a lot!

I've tried to make it as tight as possible but not sure why it still wobbles this much... so frustrating. Wondering if you had any suggestions on what I should try, I was wondering putting a large washer (metal plate of some sort?...)

Or am I missing something else that's blindingly ovbious?!

Any help appreciated :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  2. Mo Ali

Mo Ali New Member

Also there was no washer supplied (or mentioned in the instructions) to put above the locking nut. If I got one of these, would it help it stop being so wobbly ?

3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Mo Ali likes this.
  4. Mo Ali

Mo Ali New Member

Yeah thought as much, I'll give one of these braces a go. I thought also to cut some thick wood to size and put in a 35mm hole and use that as a support.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Some taps come with the brace (or similar) in the box for this exact reason

With this style of tap with the ‘swan neck’, the wobble factor is often worse as much more leverage and made worse by a thin stainless sink

The wood brace will equally work yes,
    Did the same on my ‘plastic’ type bath for the bath / shower mixer taps as insane wobble factor when fitting :eek:

Mo Ali likes this.
  6. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

The wood brace would work better than the plate, especially if you go 18mm or even thicker.

If you fix the wood solid it COULD be like the tap is fitted into a solid worktop, IF you do a really good job.

Mo Ali likes this.
  7. Mo Ali

Mo Ali New Member

That's a big if...

8. Mo Ali

Mo Ali New Member

Yeah it
    Yeah I can imagine! Even just lightly poking the tap, makes it wobble like jelly :D I ordered the metal brace, if that doesn't work...my plan is to get the shape of the wood, as close to the amount of space I have underneath. Then drill the hole to size, take apart and use it as a big wooden washer.