Sink or hob height.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Fada Mach, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Anybody here fitted a sink or hob into a worktop at a lower height that the usual 900+mm? (Apart from 'special needs' purposes.)

Eg: to cope with a slightly low window sill?

I've certainly seen pictures of hobs fitted in a stepped-down area - the height was, I guess, around 700+mm; the base unit height without a drawer above.

If so, what were the pros and cons?

Ta much.

2. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

If I'm getting what you are getting at, it sounds like you would need to do 4 mitre cuts to achieve this?? If you are using laminate or timber I would be wary about the lower two being near a water source. It also sounds like a lot of grief.

3. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think that's quite what I was thinking of. I simply mean that a, say, 1,000mm double base unit has its sides sides lowered by the height of the drawers - so that the top of the worktop on this unit only is now around 750mm from the ground. The units on either side will be standard height. The worktop on the lowered unit will butt to the adjacent units and can be sealed. The rest of the normal height units will continue either side as usual.

I have seen this done before with a cooking hob - the unit where the hob was fitted (which was probably at least 1,400 wide) was lowered by this amount. It looked pretty nifty, but also seemed to work really well - it gave you a 'commanding' view of the cooking going on, and tasks like stirring were probably aided (try standing at your current hob, stirring an imaginary pan, and then repeat with an imaginary hob a few inches lower! And, let's face it, women are shorter than men.)

I don't think it would be as successful with a sink, tho', as the washing-up job is more 'strenuous' and any leaning forwards could ache the back.

Just wondering if it's been done, that's all - covering all possibilities for a kitchen refit (low window sill).

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

You are correct DA, lowering the worktop section for a hob is quite common now and does indeed work well - it will mean the oven has to go elsewhere. Belfast sinks are set a bit lower sometimes but you are also right, low sinks are a pain to work with.

If its only a small amount you could drop the entire run by fitting a lower plinth, I have done that before. The other options are to fit a new window or build a false "back" across the window but that counts as a bodge in my book - get a price for the window alteration then at least you know what the cost will be.

5. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Cheers, Cap'n.

I guess it depends on just how much lower it needs to go - I don't know yet; measurements are being taken.

Thanks for the confirmation :)

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Usually I set hobs about 750 to 800mm if they are going in lower.

7. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Cheers. Not a problem now, it won't be going it front of t'window.

Ta much.