Sink Tap Bangs

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Davey, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Davey

Davey New Member

Hi there,
    I have just fitted some new taps to my bathroom sink (combi boiler fed) and now when the hot tap is only turned on a little or when turning it off from fully open it bangs quite loudly and the water shuts off. I have tried turning the pressure down but this results in a poor flow to the shower.(It doesn't happen with the cold tap. Any ideas please?

2. PowerTool

PowerTool New Member

Pipes banging is normally a result of air in the system - quite likely if you have changed the taps.
    As you have a combi-boiler,have you checked the operating pressure on the boiler is ok ? (Bled a radiator at my ex-wifes house - radiator lovely and warm,water pressure on the boiler dropped like a stone..
    :( )

3. Davey

Davey New Member

Thanks for the response PowerTool.
    I bled the rads thorougly and pressurised the system as it should be. I was wondering if taps have to be compatible with high pressure systems like other valves do and maybe that was the problem. Do you know what is actually banging when it makes all this noise?

4. PowerTool

PowerTool New Member

See no reason why taps should be any different - the same tap works on the cold water off a rising main;the only difference is which colour cap you put on them.
    Banging noise is normally air causing the pipes to knock against other pipes/wall etc. (can be fixed by adding more clips on pipes to stop movement)
    My background is diy/agricultural engineering/industrial cleaning systems - there are many people on this forum who put my plumbing knowledge to shame (hope one of them replies) but if water supply is cut-off,sounds like the air or flow rate is causing a valve to shut-off.

Will let you know if I think of anything else.

5. lnm

lnm New Member

dont know if you have fixed your problem with taps yet,try changing washer on problem tap to a domed type,sometimes have got flat washers which will cause banging

6. Dan The CORGI Man

Dan The CORGI Man New Member

Whilst Powertool is right by saying that pipe clips could be a cure to banging pipes he is - probably - wrong in this case. Although I am sure that more would be needed if the installation as inspected. Air is VERY unlikely to cause a problem on a mains fed system for more than a few minutes.

You have not reduced the pressure to the taps, merely the flow rate, which are two different things. Unless you have fitted a pressure reducing valve.

Bleeding radiators is going to have 6ugger all difference to the domestic water side of the system.

The mechanisms themselves may well have jumpers inside them, and when working with the restrictions placed on them by the boiler, you get a "jack hammer" effect as the jumper cavitates inside the seating.

If you are having trouble pin pointing the problem you could try flexible connectors between the pipes an the tap connections. These can absorb a fair bit of vibration - but not always.

Can you identify the taps for us? This may help give a more precise diagnosis. I am assuming you have pillar taps of some description.

7. Davey

Davey New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I got fed up with the problem and took the tap apart. I immediately discovered a screw that holds the rubber seal on the bottom of the innards was a few turns loose. Tightened it up and hey-presto. The tap was supplied by screwfix, premium 1/2 inch basin (no. 15471) so if anyone else has a problem quality control could be an issue.