Size of worktop radius

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by StuG, Sep 23, 2021.

1. StuG

StuG New Member

For the common curved base units, what size radius is required for curving the worktops

2. spen123

spen123 Active Member

I'd go same radius as base unit.
    Make a template

StuG likes this.
  3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

As spen123 says above - the radii used by different manufacturers isn’t always the same, Draw the radius of a curved door onto a piece of 18mm MDF, carefully cut the curve with a jigsaw, and clean up any slight irregularities with a sander to make your template.

Cut the curve using a router with a 50mm x 12.7mm two-flute cutter and a 30mm guide bush. With this setup, the template needs to be set up 9mm inbound from the worktop edge.

StuG likes this.
  4. spen123

spen123 Active Member

I normally cut roughly out mdf or ply.
    Fit door and pjt frig tap top of door.
    Use a palm router and bearing bit riding against door to trim template.

StuG likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’ve got a Howdens radius jig, obviously bought for one of their kitchens. One thing to bear in mind is the thickness of the edging. If you make a template, you need to think about that and offset it accordingly.

6. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Just found a couple of pics from a kitchen I did a few months back ... this template fits curved base units from a few different manufacturers - Howdens, DIY Kitchens, Wickes and Homebase. I've made three other jigs. This one was made from a leftover base end panel.

773801C9-A271-4375-AA61-1ECE151FDC8C.JPG E8C89BDC-4E59-4C28-922A-0FAAA519E8B2.JPG

CGN likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Think the Howdens jig I’ve got is made by Unika, so prob good for a few brands. Hasn’t come out the garage in ages though.

8. StuG

StuG New Member

Using that size radius, does the edging strip blend OK using square edge

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It has 2 sets of dowel holes from what I remember. Either a flush radius, or an offset that allows for the thickness of the edge trim.

StuG likes this.