Skimming - acceptable finish?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Roadrunnerblues, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Roadrunnerblues

Roadrunnerblues New Member

Hi all, got a plasterer in picked from CT 400+ 10/10 reviews. Did my ceiling a few weeks back and now skimming rest of walls in house. However, painter has started and after applying two coats to ceiling I’ve noticed marks and a ridge. Walls also feel rough and bumpy in places. Painter concerned all this will ‘show through’ when he paints. Also have spots (stains?) showing through on ceiling. Artex ceiling is underneath. When I spoke to the plasterer this morning he wasn’t happy I was ‘complaining’. Said he’s never had a complaint in 40 years. Said that the word ‘rough’ to describe walls was wrong. Said that the rough patches and dents wouldn’t show up once painted. Offered to reskin ceiling. Suggested painter uses Easy Fill on any other areas. Painter has told me that’s not his job to correct things like this as he quoted for a ‘skimmed finish’. Plasterer Wants paying half the job today after a week of work. What do I do? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Painting and Decorating is a finishing trade therefore it is not unexpected to make good here and there. That's why a white mist coat is applied to show up areas of concern. The plastering could have been a tad better and your painter should have the knowledge how to work around these minor challenges. :confused:

CGN likes this.
  3. Roadrunnerblues

Roadrunnerblues New Member

Thanks Astramax. We chatted again and plasterer has offered to reskim the ceiling in question (I didn’t ask for this but obv happy) and will easy fill any problems once painter has used a mist coat. I’ve paid him half as agreed because I’m a reasonable guy and hope that encourages him to work with me to sort any other problems out.

Astramax likes this.
  4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

If hes been doing it for forty years he may be coming old and weak and standard of finish beginning to diminish, eyesight may be failing as well or maybe he just had a bad day. Having said that there shouldn't be any rough patches and dents and if there is his standard of workmanship is ****

5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Any painter who does not allow for lightly sanding newly plastered walls has no intention of doing the job properly.

A plaster leaves the walls and ceilings with a troweled finish, it’s the painters job to lightly sand it afterwards.

I-Man likes this.
  6. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Plus, that naked bulb is a harsh light to judge a finish by.

CGN likes this.