Skimming and flatness

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Mar 19, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

I levelled out the ceiling using a laser level and new plasterboards. It was more or less flat and level against a straight edge.

Had the whole room walls ceiling skimmed few days ago by plasterer.

Obviously don't expect walls to be flat or level as it's an old Victorian property.

But when I now put flat 6 foot spirit level against ceiling, yes its mostly flat but I can see some hollow spots about 1mm.

Is this to be expected since skimming is done freehand so there's bound to be variations?

I'm probably over thinking this as it will all look nice and flat once painted white and plasterer seems to have done decent job overall.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

It’s fine I think

3. Worcesterman

Worcesterman Member

Its fine. Don’t think you’ll notice anything once painted. Pretty sure thats normal.

4. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

aslong as the lighting dosent show anything up

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Blimey, hope no one ever put a spirit level against any of my walls!

Will be fine when it's painted, just don't use up or down-lighters right next to the wall!

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

1mm. Honestly............

It's more than fine.

Worcesterman likes this.
  7. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

1mm?
    1mm?
    1mm?
    1mm?

All I can say is... LORD HELP YOU!!

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

As a matter of interest were your boards within 1mm before the spread did his thing?

9. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

All right guys I know I know....I'm worrying unnecessarily. But I can be a perfectionist sometimes.

Yeah was pretty flat when boarded up

Here's a pic of when I put a flat spirit level against the ceiling from wall edge. See the ridge in between. Will probably won't even be noticeable once painted.

Attached Files:

10. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

An ox speedskim would have averted that. If thats all you can find wrong with his work though i think you have done very well. Ive seen alot worse posted on here

11. Mikey s

Mikey s New Member

Imagine being the spread and getting that phone call.

12. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Yeah he had all the blue ox tools. Maybe it was just my ceiling and the boards were not as flat as I thought.

He did mess up slightly by a few mm skimming around the window edge but I asked him to level out that whole exterior window wall. Overall he seems to have done a decent job though.

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Looks good. The main thing with this type of work is that the angles are as straight as possible, so anywhere where the walls meet the ceiling, or wall to wall. This is what you see and the rest could be like the Malvern hills (within reason) and won’t be noticeable. Speed skim is good tool for helping to flatten areas, but it’s not a miracle tool and the skill comes from the user. Dings and misses can be noticeable though, so fill any of these.

Houses have different tolerances compared to something that is machined in a factory. There are places where accuracy is more noticeable than others, such as a modern kitchen fit or bathroom, but even then, you are taking something that is machined and getting it to fit into a space that is generally not so accurately made, but is finished so it ‘looks right’ to the eye.

Don’t beat yourself up over minute detail, especially in an old property, its part of the charm.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  14. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Member

Thanks for the reply and reassurance. Yeah guess nothing will be noticeable once all painted white matt. And been looking at too many interior design pics where everything is perfectly lined up which are probably computer generated or altered, hence making me obsess over minute detail.

Anyway all angles and corners seem straight. Obviously nothing will be perfect 90 degrees but to the eye looks straight and finished off well.

CGN likes this.