Skimming over a lot of wires

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by sparky3659, Feb 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sparky3659

sparky3659 New Member

Hi all,

Im in the middle of a large DIY project and my plan at the weekend is to do a lot of reskimming of the walls in my living room, where there has been a lot of chasing during a rewire.

The electricians ran all of the wires of the house from the fuse board, through into living room wall and out the ceiling into the joists. It's left a hole of about 6"x9" with loads of wires in my wall and I now need to make it look nice again. So my question is, should I put in an inspection panel, or should I just plaster over it? If I plaster over it, what should I cover the wires with to stop the plaster damaging the wires, and to keep it safe for the future? I'm guessing some sort of metal panel, and then some bonding or hardwall to pack out the hole?

image.jpeg

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Too my knowledge there is no connection points joints of backs etc. so no need for inspection hatch providing

The Sparks has kept to the zones.

Where is it out of interest.

3. sparky3659

sparky3659 New Member

It's in the living room at top of wall. Directly below, is all the electric supply and gas supply, so I guess that'd make it in the safe zone.

If it is a case of just plastering over, I just need to know what metal sheeting I should use to cover it, or just to throw the bonding on top of it

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will you be reinstating the coving, is it plaster or polystyrene?

5. sparky3659

sparky3659 New Member

Nah, ive pulled all the coving off- thats just a tiny bit that is remaining. Ill be reskimming the ceiling too.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Electrician has done a neat job with the wiring. Although there's nothing wrong with plastering directly over the cable.

I would prefer to put a 9/12mm exterior grade plywood sheet using screws and plugs.

Once the board had been screwed flush it can then be keyed withe a Stanley blade and a thin layer of plaster over it, will will hardly noticeable, may get the hairline crack around the edge.

Looks like cement render with a finishing plaster coat as the originally background. Tough to chisel - had it in my house, hence why a diamond blade has been used to cu the opening..

sparky3659 likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Fats said Thistle uni finish is a good finishing plaster, if you will be skinning over the artex, won't require PVA, is twice price of uni-finish.

sparky3659 likes this.
  8. sparky3659

sparky3659 New Member

Nice one Jitender. Just what I was after. Ive always used multi-finish, as that's what I got taught on my weekend course, but this Uni-finish looks pretty decent. Ill have a read up on it, but as I understand, you dont need to do any prep work with most walls, and itll go over most surfaces, so it sounds like a win. Thanks!

9. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Not wise to not cover them over first. If you have to replace one or chip it off to pull another in, then you're going to have more of a job getting plaster that's flowed around a dozen cables. Best to cover them over first.

10. masterplaster1980

masterplaster1980 New Member

You might struggle to get conduit that width. Maybe try a expamet mesh?

tore81 likes this.