SKIP REQUIRED (TO BUY)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by EXPERTGASMAN, Jul 27, 2009.

1. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

I am looking to BUY a used skip, preferably 6yds. I generate regular but small amounts of waste, and its hard to get rid of. I want to fill y own skip, and then pay a local skip company to carry to landfill. Any ideas? Northamptonshire / leicestershire area.

Thanks

2. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Why don't you just load your Van up and take it to a commercial tip?

3. Voyager2000

Voyager2000 New Member

Why would that be of any use? the majority of the skip charge is for Landfill tax, so you would by a skip £400-£600 (scrap steel price) and still have to par £100/ trip to dump the contents?

4. mantor

mantor New Member

5. eldudereno

eldudereno New Member

Many people keep skips for a prolonged period, there's no need to buy your own, ring around and ask the skip people.

6. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Generally, I generate a maximum of 8 - 10 sacks of rubble per job. It takes weeks to fill a skip!. The problem with commercial sites is having to drive every time to one, and pay a fee regardless of amount of rubbish being tipped. Plus wait for ticket, and then have to sort into different skips. At present, I stack rubbish in my yard, and then have to move it in bulk.

7. imran_

imran_ New Member

It's called a Hippo Bag!

And Beware!! The Environment Agency have been giving all trades grief where I live about their waste carrier license (or lack of). Blummin scammers for more money!

8. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

My local place has just changed it's minimum charge from £25 to £45 which is a bit of a pain, but to be honest I dispose of between 1/2 to 1 ton per visit so not overly fussed.

I suppose I do about 10 ton per year.

I quite often am left with a few rubble sacks left over here and there, which I just pop in the car and take down to the council tip.

I'm assuming you can't get a huge amount of waste in your Van??

9. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Imran, the problem with a hippo bag, is that you have to place it within reach of a grab lorry. Also they are quite expensive. But thanks for taking time to respond

10. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

I'm assuming you can't get a huge amount of waste in
    your Van??

Yea, thats a problem. If you've a large load, then its okay to pay that much. Also the nearest site to me is a round trip of at least 25 miles!

I actually drive a medium wheelbase, semi high roof van, but I dont generate much waste per job! I could load the van when I have enough, but its still a time waster. With my own skip, i wont use sacks, but buy a load of flexi plastick buckets (whadyercallems)

11. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

How about looking into one of those large commercial bins?

Or even a grabber lorry???

12. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

How about looking into one of those large commercial
    bins?

Or even a grabber lorry???

Large commercial bins dont take rubble, but getting a grab lorry in to yard could be an idea, if I cant source a cheap skip. A skip will help keep yard tidier.

Thanks

13. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

but buy a load of flexi plastick buckets (whadyercallems)

GORILLA TUBS (Couldn't get HIPPO outa my head)

14. thelonegunman

thelonegunman New Member

Do/ask what we used to do.
    Our local scrap guy would supply one skip for our scrap and one for our rubbish.......it was in both our interests and he still paid us for the scrap.

LOADED: