Skirting a bay window

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wizwoz, Apr 27, 2014.

1. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Hello all.
    I have a semi-circular bay window to skirt in 7” Taurus. Traditionally I would saw cut the back repeatedly, effectively breaking it’s back to obtain the bend but ridges on the front face are always visible in varying degrees. The customer would like timber skirting but is willing to use mdf since someone at the timber yard suggested he wet the mdf to bend it. Now to me, mdf and water do not mix…but I am wondering if a steam stripper would give the desired result.
    Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    Many thanks.

2. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

If you don't want to do ridges but want to steam the wood, then you need a plastic piping long enough for the skirting. For more info to read on how to bend woods at this link as it goes into details http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/WOODWORKINGBENDING_WOOD.htm maybe this will help you. Otherwise you are better off kerf cutting it and then use wood filler to hide small gaps.

3. I'd be inclined to agree with PJ - timber goes amazingly springy when streamed. I wouldn't be inclined to try moisture with MDF since the amount that will make it softer will also most likely damage it beyond use...

However, MDF is more bendy than dry timber and is also far less likely to crack. So I reckon there's a very good chance you can press MDF skirting into the alcove you want just 'dry'.

If you have time, you can set up a simple jig in your workshop and get the bulk of the curve into the MDF before you take it round to the client and press it home into the bay.

I'm talking nothing more complex than a couple of stops - one at each end - and an adjustable length of summat in t'middle to press it into a curve. Add a couple more inches each day. Just watch out for the MDF delaminating if you press too far too soon...

4. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Thank you for the input gents.
    Steam pressing is too long winded to faff about for a lg of skirting.. I’m leaning towards spragging mdf and adjusting it as per DA’s suggestion so that it gains a memory for most if not all of the curve., and some great big screws! In fact it can become the customer’s project… a lg spread across the bay with a car battery sat in the middle and moved daily the week before I arrive!
    Many thanks.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I had to skirt a curved wall last year, convex not concave though on a 4' radius, and just bent MDF torus round it. The floor was chipboard and the covering wasn't down so I could screw a couple of blocks in to hold it and the plugged and screwed it to the wall.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Laminate it up out of 3 thicknesses of 6mm, fix it into the bay temporarily to let the glue go off with a former to hold the shape and then machine the torus moulding yourself.

I myself would try forcing the curve from standard MDF skirting first and if its not working then do the above.

vivaro man likes this.
  7. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Cheers gents
    As with steam pressing, laminating it and moulding it is too much faffing, altho I take your point as it being a solution. I’ll discuss it as an option with the customer,. I doubt he’d want to pay for that level of labour cost. It would probably be time well spent from my point of view since I need to fit it in order to mark the mitres for the returns and then remove it to cut them.
    At the moment I’m leaning towards teasing it over time to give it a memory…
    Cheers.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you do it in 3 bits you can mitre the ends and then fit the middle.

9. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Nah, not sold on that one thanks Chippie... I've got 3 short pieces to bend then plus fit two joints (with a bend) in the middle. No matter how good you are the joints would always show. I just know the customer would accept it but be disappointed inside.
    Appreciate your input.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think you are worrying too much, if it is a normal sized bay window MDF will bend around it easily.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Dont take this the wrong way but from the way you are talking about too much faffing sounds like you just want the easiest way to get it any old way to a reasonable standard. Just force it against the wall and get your caulk gun out.

12. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Naturally I want the easiest way… to obtain a decent standard, hence my question. But I have to keep it in context,. I’m there to skirt two rooms which happen to have round bays and I can’t justify time spent laminating or steam bending the skirting. Please don’t misinterpret that as a cowboy attitude. I appreciate all the suggestions to broaden my options and find that of Devil’s Advocate to bend mdf over a period of days prior to my visit to be the most appropriate. Sorted.
    Many thanks.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's completely unnecessary but if you want to pre-bend the MDF whack a ratchet strap around it and tension it up till it is a smaller radius than the bay, that way when you let the tension off it will be correct.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Wizwoz, no problem, wasnt suggesting you were saddling up or anything, so no cowboy allegations:D

What might work well is a halfway house, how about tension it up like DA and Chippie suggest and then when its nice and bent PVA a strip of 6mm on the back about 25mm shy of the top, that will keep it in shape when its fitted. Chances are it will sit below the old plaster line.

15. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Nah, current ‘skirting’ is actually 2” chamfered archi, so the plaster goes well down. But that suits me cos it stops the skirting rocking and I can get a decent fixing. I’m confident now that it will bend ok without snapping etc so it’s all good.
    Now.., the window board….

Kidding! :)