Skirting board fitting with CAT cables

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by StrikeX, Nov 20, 2020.

1. StrikeX

StrikeX Member

Skirting boards will be fitted in the bedroom, do you have any idea how to deal with these ethernet cables (Cat6)?

I am thinking of making a hole on a Skirting board and covered with a brush plate but I think that will be very tight and may not work. Any suggestion?

There will be a carpet on the floor.

[​IMG]

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Use skirting trunking, looks like skirting board but, as the name suggests, it is trunking.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you ask how to ‘deal with these cables’ - once they’ve passed through the skirting, what’s the plan on routing them. ?

Are they going under floorboards or running around the room above floor ?

Can’t really work out how many are there but once tidied, would easily pass through a dbl brush plate

4. StrikeX

StrikeX Member

These cables already routed from bedrooms and living rooms on the wall.

As you can see in the pic, I might put a wardrobe there and a network Switch will be inside a wardrobe.

I think it is going to be very difficult to put a double brush plate on the wooden skirting board for CAT6 cables to go through. I might have to cut the plasterboard a bit so I can push the cables back so the skirting board can be fitted on the wall. Or Any alternative suggestion?

Here is a closer pic:
    Cables coming out from the floorboard

[​IMG]

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Floor board up. I'd run to where you want it and come up through floor. Carpet fitters will put edging around and you could also run in pipe. Best not cut floor joists though but might be holes or gaps already there.

Either that or large trunking around walls above skirting and you can get trunking any size from trade counter big enough to stand in, but I don't like that so much. Its too deep and can foul on furniture.

Or go with your plan with hole in skirting but better in floor?

StrikeX likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So, all the cables in picture are to be terminated in this room at a network switch ?

Looks like the room has been just plastered ?

Before skirts, carpet and decorating starts, would it not make more sense to chop out the wall and put in 50x50 trunking in the wall to bring cables up to a sensible height, then exit via a 2 gang brushplate
    Sink in a deep back box, cut out a 50mm section from bottom edge of box and just bring the trunking into box
    Neat way of doing it, cables not grazing on rough brickwork and fixings for faceplate screws

https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-galvanised-steel-knockout-boxes-2g-47mm/29466

Now's the time to do it really :)

7. StrikeX

StrikeX Member

I am going to give that a try, I will let you know how we get on :)

8. StrikeX

StrikeX Member

Yes all the rooms have been plastered. It is dab and dot wall, I think it is too late too chase it?

I wish I have chased the wall before putting plasterboard on the wall :(

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What depth skirting are you opting for?

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Of course it’s not too late to chase walls and go with my suggestion ,,,,, you’ve just about got time !!

If skirts were on, decorating done, carpets down, then it would be a ball ache

At this stage, you’ve got a great fighting chance still with no major hassle but get a move on !! :)

D&D walls easy peasy and you’ve got a good percentage of depth needed already. PB, say 12mm, gap behind PB to wall, could be anything really - 25-50 mm so could be nearly there without any chopping out of wall

If you own a multi tool easy and neat to cut out a section of PB and take a look behind and see what depth you’ve got

I mentioned 50x50 trunking but could probably go smaller than that if you keep cables neat - 40mm maybe

If you do need to chase wall, it’s not going to be a great deal anyway. Just get trunking 5mm behind finished wall surface, scratch up lid to aid adhesion, pva, remove surface plaster 10mm either side of trunking, scrim tape, plaster / easily fill - job done (and fit back box in my link)

All easy stuff really if you have some decorating experience and for what, £20 odd quid for materials if your doing this yourself

Go for it ,,,,, you know it makes sense :)