SKIRTING BOARD

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ladydiy, Dec 2, 2007.

1. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

c o c k and b a l l s then!

2. damo

damo New Member

Skirting boards were left a little off the floor to
    enable carpet fitters to achieve the perfect job, you
    try cutting carpet without leaving strands all over
    the place. Laminate flooring butts against the
    skirting so height is not a problem. If you want
    carpets then leave a little height, if you want
    laminate then the same apples because you should put
    underlay underneath anyway.
    I take it that an expansion gap is out of the question then? Of all the jobs Ive done out on site, I have never been asked to leave a gap below skirting to accept the thickness of the required floor covering. Must be a new trend, cant really see how that doing it that way would be labour cost effective.

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Quetion.
    how would you know the required gap to be left for floorcovering?
    Does the customer choose the carpet and underlay and give you a sample of each so you can get it right?
    Once they have done this of course there is no going back, no changing of minds but thats ok because we all know once people have chosen a floor covering they never change their minds (yeah right not much)
    Oh and as years go by they go for a new carpet, of course their choice is now limited because they have to stick to the origional thickness!

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"question" even lol.
    note to self, stop spilling beer on keyboard, plays havoc with keys!

5. lamello

lamello New Member

The point Damo is on this forum is that there are those who talk the talk saying what they think is right.Like my bestmate on the kitchen fitters Macauley says Deco-glaze are meant to be a good firm or Diy Kitchens are supposed to be competitive ie quoting stuff they have cribbed off the net. Then there are those who walk the walk saying what they know to be true ie stuff they do every day as part of their jobs ie audi on floors jasonb on furniture mr deeds on various things handyandy on making the tea(joke) joelp on cutting ragged shelves(joke) and various others. Like for example I can tell you that decoglaze are good because I deal with them and DIY kitchens are competitive because I deal with them I havent just googled them and looked at their website. It very quickly becomes apparent who knows their stuff and who doesnt. And as you say I have never been asked to leave a gap on skirtings either

6. damo

damo New Member

Quetion.
    how would you know the required gap to be left for
    floorcovering?
    Does the customer choose the carpet and underlay and
    give you a sample of each so you can get it right?
    Once they have done this of course there is no going
    back, no changing of minds but thats ok because we
    all know once people have chosen a floor covering
    they never change their minds (yeah right not much)
    Oh and as years go by they go for a new carpet, of
    course their choice is now limited because they have
    to stick to the origional thickness!

7. damo

damo New Member

Quetion.
    how would you know the required gap to be left for
    floorcovering?
    Does the customer choose the carpet and underlay and
    give you a sample of each so you can get it right?
    Once they have done this of course there is no going
    back, no changing of minds but thats ok because we
    all know once people have chosen a floor covering
    they never change their minds (yeah right not much)
    Oh and as years go by they go for a new carpet, of
    course their choice is now limited because they have
    to stick to the origional thickness!

Ha Ha Ho Ho!!! Lol Audi, well put

8. damo

damo New Member

*****!! TWITCHY LITTLE CLICK FINGER

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Old houses with gaps under the skirting are a nightmare.
    The floors must have dropped a bit with age (just guessing im not a builder) upshot is you get a dirty black mark around the perimiter of the carpet.
    The draughts blow all the cr@p up through the gaps.

10. Trog

Trog New Member

Leaving gaps between skirting and floor hahahahahahaha you guys.

Wise words you speak Audi

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Lot of fuss innit ?

Not all for my sake I hope, just because I said the carpet fitter would love a gap ?

I did only say a 3mm gap. If your carpet don't cover that, it ain't a carpet.

Just to let you know that I was speaking from my own DIY point of view. Fitted a few carpets and found it quite thankful for a little gap.
    Don't use all the professional tools(knee-kicker/proper cutter etc) so having a small gap made it a tad easier(bit too wide with the cut - tuck a bit under)lovely.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

12. Trog

Trog New Member

Not you Andy. Directed more at Mr Deeds and Average guys reasoning. As you say 3mm is neither here or there.

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

not directed at you either andy, as a diy job, any diy job you do whatever to make it easier from a diy point of view if you have limited skills.
    As for leaving a gap to make a straight edge easier for a carpet fitter, nonsense, carpet fitters cut so much it is matterless.
    It would be like inventing something for a joiner to bang nails in without bending them.

14. damo

damo New Member

Likewise handy, not knocking your way of cutting carpets, that doesnt bother me. Bit concerned about the bloke who fits laminate with no expansion gap. Although Im not here to guffer at people that are inaccurate about their comments on here, we are all here to have a laugh, correct what we know is wrong and share info which can make a difference.

15. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

all my skirtings go to the floor deeds,no gaps for carpets lad.
    seriosly where did u serve your time.
    HMP.

16. lamello

lamello New Member

75 if you are so clued up how come you hadnt heard of 5.4s of mdf? Because all you are is talk.

17. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

ok then

what do you do if some one calls up and says i want laminate fitted? go in and rip the skirtings off and put new on?

then if you put skirting on top of the laminate what do you do if you want carpet fitted? rip the skirting off and fit new?

come on tell us, i must be doing something wrong?

18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

mazball

they dont often use skirting in HMP

it can be used as a hiding place for small items and as a weapon in a riot

19. lamello

lamello New Member

No but what you were saying JT Builders is that it wasnt a good idea to put skirting down over laminate. So if you go in a bare shell and customer want laminate are you saying you will skirt it out first then lay your laminate and then bead it?

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

It's very simple boys, when you go to a job you ask the customer.
    Do you want new skirting or do you want to keep your old skirting and add beading, the price will be higher if you have new skirting.
    Some customers will be able to afford new skirting some won't, they are the customer, it is their money and their house, just do the best job you can under the circumstances.
    As for carpets i have never had anyone ask me to replace skirting when i am fitting a carpet and if i had a fitter working for me who said he needed a gap under the skirting to fit a carpet i'm afraid he would be sacked!