Skirting boards and tiles?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hoskie, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Hi all, just a general question for my own house, I am tiling my bathroom but having a carpet put down and need skirting boards. Do I tile up from the skirting or can I run a thin batton to tile up from then attach the skirting to the batton? Is there an industry way of doing this or is it just a case of do what seems best for each job?

Cheers Hoskie

2. magical trevor

magical trevor New Member

I always tile the wall first then tile the floor and stick the skirting to the tiled wall will pink grip, that way the detail on the top edge of the skirting is not lost.

Are you sure that you want carpet in your bathroom? difficult to clean / will always get wet and stay wet and is generally unhygenic ? I always prefer tiles, if it is for the warmth then why not file under floor heating?

BPM

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Batten behind the skirting, I would.

Couple of reasons. If you have to fix it with screws or nails, it's easier than having to clearance drill the tiles.
    Wood to wood will stick better.

And if you start at the bottom you will lose, say, one third of your tile, and that is what it will look like.
    If you have a batten, you can start your tile so that it will start just behind the top of the skirting, so still looking like a full tile.

Just make sure the batten is exact(or even a tad LESS thick) than the finished tile, then you can put your glue(I would use gripfil as some of these nonail stuffs are not waterproof) and press into a nice level, and not leave a gap.

Sorry, just realised you might have done this before.

Mr. Handyandy - really

4. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

I may yet decide to tile the floor but i have already fixed down the toilet and the sink so means having to tile round them. Not a huge problem just a bit of a ball ache

5. Twobarrows&asprog

Twobarrows&asprog New Member

I always think normal skirting looks funny next to tiles. I use the edging strip that is used with uPVC doors etc. It's about 6mm thick & available in many widths, but I use about 40mm. I simply glue it on with a thin line of silicone, then when it has gone off I seal the top & bottom edges. Looks good & it's waterproof!