Skirting boards mitre angles how to ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Panther0007, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Panther0007

Panther0007 New Member

I am fitting some skirting boards I have a mitre saw and angle finder I have a a wall with chimney that has an angle of 133.4 degrees, how on earth do I cut this angle on bevel (can only do 0-45 degrees)

The mitre saw I have is a "EVOLUTION R255SMS 255MM ELECTRIC SINGLE-BEVEL SLIDING MITRE SAW"

now this 133.4/2 = 66.7 degree internal angle I am guessing I need to do something else ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yeah, set your chop saw to 23.5 degrees and try that.

Panther0007 likes this.
  3. Panther0007

Panther0007 New Member

Just trying to understand how you worked this out, so its 45 degrees minus 68.7 = 23.7 (23.5 degrees cut)

Will try this on some scrap wood first, if I set this to 23.5 degree should work? or do I need to set this to 45-23.5=21.5 on the dial ?

4. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Sorry not explaining that right I never use angle finders. With a sliding bevel I get the full angle, mark it on a scrap piece, bisect it set my saw to this angle and cut. 180 - 133.5= 46.5 divide by 2 is your angle

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  5. Panther0007

Panther0007 New Member

Right, so its 180 degrees (this is straight cut) -133.5 = 46.5, then 46.5 / 2 = 23.5 degrees (now this makes sense)

6. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

That’s the one. Out of interest if to turn you angle finder around and push it in against the wall that way does it give a different reading?

7. Panther0007

Panther0007 New Member

yes I get 226.4 the other way around

[​IMG]

8. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Ah ok just curious as I said I never used one. Anyway that should see you right for around your bay window. As a side note what are you putting down on the floor? Depending on that sometimes it’s better to leave off skirting until flooring is down to cover gaps etc

9. Panther0007

Panther0007 New Member

I will be having some carpets fitted, I have left a 6mm gap between the floorboards and skirting boards, I find having a small gap is good if you ever need to lift a few floorboards and carpet fits better with slight gap.

10. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Good stuff. Good luck with it

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As a tip for a fast reference point, without any measuring devices or angle finders just using your eyes alone tells you that the chimney wall is supposed to be angled at 45 degrees, so if you were to try a test cut of 22.5 degrees (bisecting the angle, in half obviously) then you won't be too far away in getting close to the right cut. So the next time you look at the angle finder and it throws out an angle figure in the hundreds, stop and use a bit of common sense to think it's a 45 degree bay, halve it, and that number will be pretty close to where you need to be.

12. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Another way to save the brain when using a digital angle finder:
    Wind it out to 180 then hit zero.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  13. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Bisect the angle by drawing it on the floor as you were shown at school to set your bevel :)

Put a mark on the floor in the corner, mark two lines parallel to the walls with the skirting or a wide piece of board lay flat on the floor and join the point where they cross with the mark in the corner then use the line to set your bevel, then use that to set the saw..

Simple.

14. The Happy Builder

15. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

Would you Guys not scribe an Internal Angle like that?

As a DIYer I found this very helpful.
    14:50 Mins in has a similar Angle.

koolpc and Panther0007 like this.
  16. Panther0007

Panther0007 New Member

its my first time fitting skirting boards and I mitred some of the internal angles, doesn't matter how much I tried I couldn't get a perfect joint, next time I will scribe all internal angles, Mitre is good for external angles, all my external angles were bang on perfect but the internal ones all needed a tiny bit of filler, any way lesson learnt.

McSport likes this.
  17. The Happy Builder

I would scribe all the internal right angles corners, but working around a splay bay or the like the internal corners would probably get mitred, for the simple reason that I was on piecework.

McSport likes this.
  18. Murphs03

Murphs03 New Member

Hi, I’m in the position with my skirting and just tried this method and it worked, jord your a genius