Skirting boards removal for laminate floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by confused jd, Aug 16, 2007.

1. confused jd

confused jd New Member

I'm planning on getting a new laminate floor and was wondering what the advantages are of taking the skirting boards off versus keeping them and having the beading around the bottom. We have to get the walls replastered anyway to get rid of artex. It is an older property but generally the walls are in good condition.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Brand new skirting. Lovely.

Beading, yuk.

Old skirting, new beading, yuk.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

3. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

new plaster+ new floor=new skirtings

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

off off off with the skirtings. I refuse to do flooring jobs now where they want beading

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"I refuse to do flooring jobs now where they want beading"
    i wouldn't go that far!!!!!!!!!!!
    skirting off, floor down, new skirting, yep best job.
    That said if someone wants a tidy up job done on a budget who am i to tell them they can't have beading?
    As long as it's a nice neat finish and they pay me.
    At the end of the day it's there house why would i give a monkeys, i leave after the job has been done.
    I think it's a bit snobish to say "i only fit laminate if you have new skirting"
    Oh and btw the downside, what happens in two or three years when you want to go back to carpet, new skirting again?

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Why not. I want all my work to look top notch and beading looks naff

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

mine looks top notch with beading ;)
    Bottom line, it has to be up to the customer what they want, or where does it end?
    Ooh i don't fit those b+q doors or mdf kitchens.
    What if you had a landlord with 20 flats paying top rates but wanted beading?

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

9. Fittingwolf

Fittingwolf New Member

Looks better without beading, so take your skirts off and replace them wont cost that much anyway, but with regards to not fitting beading if requested by customers thats silly probably 50% of your jobs will be beaded not everyone wants to pay for new skirts. Your turning down work thats very silly in my opinion, just tell them it looks better without and if they decide they want beading you know you have tried to make them see sense.

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Agree with wolf, i get lots of beaded jobs, kids bedroom, customer will say there is so much cr ap in the room you can't see skirting anyway!
    oap's unemployed etc, what you may think is "not very expensive" for skirting may be a lot of money to them.
    I do the est job possible with the material provided and acording to budget.

11. unclek

unclek New Member

What is the best way to remove skirting without causing too much damage to the walls? Or does it normally leave the walls in need of repair?

12. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

buy skirting an inch bigger than the one you remove, plus the height of the laminate, should cover any minor damage you cause when removing ;)

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have no problem filling my schedule so not doing beaded floor jobs doesnt seem to really bother me. Nice floor audi but sorry beading always looks wrong. Too right I wont fit B&Q kitchens. I only fit kitchens that I supply that way I can guarantee the quality. Same with tops,doors,skirtings etc etc. I have a big customer base all of whom trust my judgement and I am yet to have a complaint or failure to pay. I will keep it that way by guaranteeing the quality of my materials thanks. My motto is that I wont put anything in someone elses house that I wouldnt have in mine and beaded flooring and B&Q kitchens would be straight in my skip. As for turning down 50% of my work by not doing beaded floors. Not true. Flooring only makes up say 10% of my business and I only really deal with quality customers as I dont advertise and my work comes off word of mouth and they all know how expensive I am so I dont really tend to get calls off people who dont want the job done properly

14. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Well maybe i'm from an older school when it comes to work, i remember the days of scraping around for jobs and all tradesmen in battered old transits (not the posh things we all have these days)
    The job in the pic was an all too common case, the customer has the room all decorated and then goes to buy a floor, now there is no way he is going to have the skirting taken off his newly decorated room.
    The job is a 50m2 lounge/diner/hall, his house his choice and no way i'm walking away from that much work.
    Job done, he loved it and 3 referals (2 with beading) everyone happy ;)

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

old school too audi. I just work in a different way to other people

16. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

well ok, each to their own i just can't bring myself to walk away from work for no other reason than not liking a customers choice of product.

17. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Nothing wrong with beading if its done well. Audis photo proves this.

18. sparkydog

sparkydog Member

beadings ****, its a patching up job.you wouldnt expect your carpet fitter to patch around the skirting or decorator to stick a boarder around the architrave.its passable for long runs or bedrooms if the customer insists but looks **** stopped at door frames, still have to under cut frames. Could run a biscuiter around the skirting to under-cut but its hard work.

19. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I really don't see the problem with beading, you have trim around other things, double glazing for example, the trim is only there to hide the gaps, same as laminate beading.
    As for undercutting skirting, we have undercut saws that can get round a room in no time but getting the last plank in is a right eff on.
    Carpet fitters don't patch because carpets are fitted nett so no need an expansion gap but when fitting vinyl the correct method is to leave a 3/4mm gap around the perimeter and cover it with skirting/beading/sealer.
    I know this is never done but it is the correct method.

20. sparkydog

sparkydog Member

as for trim around double glazing , its a cowboys bodge up, a quick fix, gap too big to silicone.still never seen a doorway that looks right and the bead gets mashed when the missus of the house gets the hoover out.