Skirting boards removal for laminate floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by confused jd, Aug 16, 2007.

1. !!

!! Active Member

Using good trim carpentry techniques e.g coped internals, mitred returns next to undercut architrave, beading can look fine perhaps it's the way you've seen it fitted.

And as audi states not everyone one can afford to have the skirting ripped off to have a floor covering fitted.

2. Wheaters

Wheaters New Member

As a DIY-er I would suggest removing the skirting and if you are careful you should be able to re-use it. The level of floor is bound to be higher so the original skirting should hide any marks that you have made prising the old skirting off. This will much depend on how well fixed your existing skirting is, you may end up splitting skirting not matter how careful you are. With modern properties the skirting will pull of fairly easily I would think.

3. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Both methods have their place,its ok pulling a bit of 4" round off,but what about old fancy stuff which you can,t replace.I wouldn,t pull it off for the sake of some laminate which will probably be ripped up in a year or two.
    Sparky. youve obviously never fitted any upvc,in many cases if the new frame is made a perfect fit it won,t slide into the old opening,likewise if the walls/plaster are out of plumb.

4. sparkydog

sparkydog Member

fitted plenty of upvc thanx,an if you measure right + knock off clearance for fitting,tape up and silicone is all thats needed on outside at least. on inside if old frame was out of plumb and lazyboy doesnt carry plaster with im then its not TOO bad to use bead.

5. sparkydog

sparkydog Member

(bead) ment trim ,(still asleep,yawn)

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

fitted plenty of upvc thanx,an if you measure right +
    knock off clearance for fitting,tape up and silicone
    is all thats needed on outside at least. on inside if
    old frame was out of plumb and lazyboy doesnt carry
    plaster with im then its not TOO bad to use
    bead.

Trouble with upvc is you've got the shape of the new window and you're stuck with it. Some wooden ones will have been rebated/cut about and then plastered to. Hardly likely to be square plastering. Some wooden ones will be removed that have beading to be removed too. Then the householder has wallpapered into the reveal and wants to keep it. Can't just blodge it with plaster, so trims the only way.

Can't believe you've done all those upvc windows and not noticed that almost all replacements are in need of some form of trim.

Unless of course you put them in as skew as the originals:O

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. Mr. Handyandy

Back to topic, how does one do the beading where the skirting is flush with the architrave ? It's obviously got to stop where the skirting meets the architrave(can't bend it round). What happens there ? Stop dead and chamfer the end ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

another point to keep in mind

if you are diying assuming its normal 3 ir 4" skirting its cheaper to remove the skirting and replace with new as new skirting is around half the price of the matching quadrant

big all

9. !!

!! Active Member

Back to topic, how does one do the beading where the
    skirting is flush with the architrave ? It's
    obviously got to stop where the skirting meets the
    architrave(can't bend it round). What happens there ?
    Stop dead and chamfer the end ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

mitred return, looks good, as I said earlier in topic.

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"new skirting is around half the price of the matching quadrant"
    where do you buy scotia?
    It costs next to nothing!!!!!!!!!!

"mitred return, looks good, as I said earlier in topic"
    yep nothing wrong with that, very tidy!

11. confused jd

confused jd New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. We went for it and took the skirting off and managed not to cause too much damage. Pleased with the plastering results so now ready for the flooring. I guess we were lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it!) that the walls all needed plastering anyway so it wasn't a big deal to take skirting off.

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

"new skirting is around half the price of the
    matching quadrant"
    where do you buy scotia?
    It costs next to nothing!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101883&ts=31885&id=22701

ok its a bit cheaper and longer than the last time i bought it ;)

when i last bought a bit it was 2m and £4.60 a length so £2 a m where as 4" chamf is £1 a meter

if yours is cheeper i know where to come next time :D:D;)

big all

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

big all, i thought you had a bit more about you than going around getting your eyes taken out, £4.60!!!!!!!! ***!!!!!!!!!!!
    Give me a shout next time, 2.45m length £2-00, buy a few (25+) and i'll do them for £1.50, so about 60p a metre ;)

14. Mr. Handyandy

Back to topic, how does one do the beading where
    the
    skirting is flush with the architrave ? It's
    obviously got to stop where the skirting meets the
    architrave(can't bend it round). What happens there
    ?
    Stop dead and chamfer the end ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

mitred return, looks good, as I said earlier in topic.

Perhaps I worded it wrong. What I mean is, a run of skirting goes up to the outside of the architrave of a door frame. The skirting stops at the square edge of the architrave.

The beading can't go any further than the end of the skirting(or it will be at the 'bullnose' of the archtrave) so you can't return it round the bullnose and into the doorway.

That's where I mean.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

you stop the beading at the end of the skirting with a mitred return, in effect you are making an "end cap" for the beading so it looks neat and you dont have a square cut of mdf on show.

16. Mr. Handyandy

you stop the beading at the end of the skirting with
    a mitred return, in effect you are making an "end
    cap" for the beading so it looks neat and you dont
    have a square cut of mdf on show.

Oh, I see. So it's just a triangle of bead(fiddly little bit). OK.

I've used wood beading and cut the bead at 45° from the side and the top, because I found that the 16mm protrusion was a trap for kicking your little toe on, and cutting it back saves your pinkies.

Appreciate you can't do that with laminated or hollow.

Cheers.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

17. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Yeah, it prob is responsible for some choice language when the customer nips to the loo in the middle of the night and stubbs their toe, but i care not a jot as long as it looks nice when i leave ;)

18. big all

big all Screwfix Select

big all, i thought you had a bit more about you than
    going around getting your eyes taken out,
    £4.60!!!!!!!! ***!!!!!!!!!!!
    Give me a shout next time, 2.45m length £2-00, buy a
    few (25+) and i'll do them for £1.50, so about 60p a
    metre ;)

thanks audi :D:D:D

because of the normal historic cost [going back over 10 years ]
    i have always where possible talked them into wooden quad or scotia and painted the colour of the skirting [by them ;)]
    as historicly at 50p a meter and no joins on the walls they could save £25 a room the last actual quad i bought was probably 3 years ago its always been wood as i say
    although laminate is on the down round here last laminate was the end off last year
    now with you as a possible source for around 20 percent more than unpainted quad and nearly 8ft lengths is great

cheers
    big all

19. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i should add thats if they wont let me take the skirting off :D:D:D:D;)