Skirting Boards.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by rowdyyates76, Mar 10, 2005.

1. rowdyyates76

rowdyyates76 New Member

What material should I buy for Skirting Boards. I have been told MDF is the best. Also to fit them using GRIPFILL as its better than NO MORE NAILS. Any advice? Do I use Caulk for board to wall gaps and Silicone for board to floor gaps.

2. panlid

panlid New Member

if you are painting you are correct on all counts except floor to skirts using silicone. never heard of that in my life and anyway you cant paint over silicone. where have you heard that?

3. rowdyyates76

rowdyyates76 New Member

My mate told me to use Translucent Silicone to fill any gaps between the Skirt and Laminate floor as Silicone will allow for any movement but still seal the gaps. Yes I will be painting the skirts in Satin Wood and painting over the Caulk.

4. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

i had a client recently whom has bought himself a brand new appartment,(a flat to the rest of us) and he had had this done with silicone all around to the floor throughout the whole flat, claimed it reduced the black block dust falling down behind the dot and dab when you drilled the wall thus not staining the carpet edges and turning them black, but he definatly was'nt nerotic bunny boiler bloke...

5. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I've done the silicon many times on skirting. Its been in old houses that have wooden floors. (existing floors and skirts)

I put masking tape on bottom of skirting then silicon the gap, therefore the skirt can be painted as silicon is only on the wood facing the floor.

Clear for varnished wood / white for painted

Every time the reason is dirt/dust/draft coming from behind the skirting

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No. You should not have gaps at the floor, especially if
    it is down to laminate flooring. If you have gaps here and you seal them with clear silicon, you will still see the gaps. And given that your laminate has probably been
    put down as a floating floor, when it does expand and contract, it will pull the seal of silicon away and leave a very unsightly sight(for want of a better phrase).
    Not for nothing is the recommended gap around the edges of laminate 10mm.

Handyandy - really

Paulkent78 likes this.
  7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

You've got that one right HA.

Do you put laminate down with a spade? ;)

8. Mr. Handyandy

You've got that one right HA.

Do you put laminate down with a spade? ;)

No. But I have made my own laminate flooring pusher-in'er.
    For not wanting to tap too hard on the ends to push a board in tight, I made a tool out of two bits of wood, and some thick rubber that sits on the laminate board and tapped with a hammer. Tap the bord in either direction, no damage to ends. Rather like a carpet-kicker with rubber instead of spikes.
    Felt the need when I had a board or two coming out of their 'grooves' and had to keep scuff-kicking them in with my feet(in my own kitchen). I'm rambling now..............

Handyandy - really

9. panlid

panlid New Member

clear silicone actually looks dirty inside it after a while. definitly a case of people thinking too much. if floor well out just scribe the skirt to floor with a planer.

10. nivek

nivek New Member

yeah make the efort to scribe to the floor.....silicone
    will just look totally ***** (infact would look like you got a plumber to do it for you lol).

11. panlid

panlid New Member

12. handyman.

handyman. New Member

What would you do with an existing gap on a skirting/floor?

13. panlid

panlid New Member

bead it! doh

14. handyman.

handyman. New Member

They have all (3) been 100 year plus houses with original floor/shirting. Customers did not want new beading put round their floor.

It would look worse than silicon.

15. panlid

panlid New Member

have to disagree old boy. you could get something like 20mmx5mm flat bead and put it on tallways if you know what i mean. push it down to floor and brad.
    has to look nicer than silicone imo. im afraid we'll have to agree to differ :)

16. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Well they thought it was fine........then I got her dog and stick for her:)

17. handyman.

handyman. New Member

SID, your a changed man since you ASBO. You would have @@@@@@@@ ** ***** all over tha place for siliconing that gap!

18. nivek

nivek New Member

would advise coustomer "sir/madam for the best possible finish it would be wise to reskirt this room,yes its an added expense now but you will thank me in the long run"(very lucrative)lol.

19. Mr. Handyandy

What would you do with an existing gap on a
    skirting/floor?

If they are painted (and I can't believe they wouldn't be if they are that old), then the way to go would be a
    flexible over-paintable filler, and paint over.

Handyandy - really

20. handyman.

handyman. New Member

2 were unpainted, but were varnished. 1 was painted white.

Trust me it looked fine, better than before. Honest. People round these parts dont hand their money over easily!