Skirting on new plaster

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Andrew Wall, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Andrew Wall

Andrew Wall Member

Hi,

Just on getting my full house skimmed. I've removed all the old woodwork and I was planning on using an adhesive to reattach all the new skirting. However, I've noticed that the plasterer has left a gap at the bottom of the room on the ground floor (I believe this is to stop damp?)

I was trying to avoid using nails or screws as I didn't want to risk ruining anything.

What's the best way to attach skirting when it's like this? Do I just have to screw to the wall? What should I do if there's a pipe going along the bottom of the floor in the wall? (I chased the heating pipes into the wall downstairs)

Thanks!

2. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Could use expanding foam and wedges to hold till it sets... or if a timber floor screw a batton to the floor to hold the skirting board till the adhesive sets. Have use foam a few times and is a really good adhesive!plus it stops any draughts!

Andrew Wall likes this.
  3. Andrew Wall

Andrew Wall Member

Could I just use any type of expanding foam or would I need to buy a particular sort?
    Cheers

4. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

Use instastik if MDF skirts. I would still mechanically fix timber skirting.

Andrew Wall likes this.
  5. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Cheapo stuff from our host is perfectly acceptable, just make sure to make sure its held firmly while it sets!

Andrew Wall likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Any foam and B&Q sell metal gun in building section for £10. Get a can of foam cleaner to

Andrew Wall likes this.
  7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I'm with Dan P - use Instastik (or the pink equivalent) designed for the job, not a general foam. The adhesive versions a) have added adhesives and b) are lower expansion. (although I'm sure general foam is pretty good). If the surface is dusty, brush it off and spray a little water before using the foam - it helps it to go off. I have never found the need to add secondary screws/nails to MDF skirting - that stuff sticks like the proverbial and none of mine have ever come off... If timber a few fixings can help if there is a lot of spring in the timber, but otherwise just use foam.

Andrew Wall likes this.
  8. Andrew Wall

Andrew Wall Member

Thanks for that, I'll give the insta stik a go. I'm planning on using MDF so sounds fairly straightforward.