Skirting profile.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Leeds_76, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Leeds_76

Leeds_76 Member

Can anyone tell me what the profiles of the skirting is in the image?

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ogee and Eggmould/Lambs tongue, in that order.

3. Leeds_76

Leeds_76 Member

Thank you, that's what I thought they were. I bought lambs tongue today but the profile doesn't 100% match

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This is always the problem when trying to match profile of skirts, architrave, mouldings, etc

Doesn’t matter if it’s Ogee, Lambs Tongue, Ovolo, Tourus, etc …. There’s no definitive copy-write on any of these profiles (or others, generally speaking)

Each sawnmill that produces these items will have slightly differing cutters set up that will overall turn out any of the above profiles (and others), they will of course be recognisable as say lambs tongue but, the exact detail of profile will differ from each manufacturer

Even if you get the same overall height skirting (and that’s not always possible either) where each part of the profile stops and starts may well vary

I’ve tried to match up skirting for home and across 5 different local suppliers, I think that 4 samples all differed and non actually matched perfectly !

It’s either get as close as you can, try more suppliers, also look online or find a place that can make perfectly matching skirting for you but of course, the £ per mt is a lot heavier - good luck

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If it's to be painted, sand and plane it gently to blend in with the existing, if stained then you'd be better off changing the room for the newer stuff if it has to match perfectly.

CGN, Astramax and Rosso like this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No one will notice a near match once the furniture covers it up when back in the room.

CGN likes this.
  7. Leeds_76

Leeds_76 Member

That was my thinking too, the existing skirting is potentially 80 years old

8. Leeds_76

Leeds_76 Member

Luckily most of it will be covered by the sofa