Skirtings and Architraves

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Apr 6, 2018.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You don't need the router table.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Whatever you do, don't even consider Silverline s h I t e, I wouldn't use it if it was given to me. 5th grade may not be the best quality, I'd check every length if I was you before you accept it. And you don't NEED a router table, but they are a handy addition.

btiw2 likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I meant for the Manchester skirting you wouldn't need a router table.

4. facilities

facilities Guest

Must admit I’m no joiner not even a good diyer, but keep hearing about how you can use a router for making profiles on wooden things,

I’ve got a Vodafone one but only use it for connecting to the internet can someone explain how it’s done?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's funny 'cos I always pronounce it router not router o_O

WillyEckerslike and btiw2 like this.
  6. facilities

facilities Guest

So you say potato and I say potato, and you say tomato and I say tomato ? Oh sod it let’s call the whole thing off

btiw2 likes this.
  7. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Especially as it’s not too difficult to make a ghetto router table.

I’d suggest YouTube, but it’s full of yanks, with acres of workshop space, telling you how to make router tables out of cherrywood.

You want something flat which you can screw a router to, and something straight you can use for a fence.

I pinched my missus’ plastic breadboard to make the insert for mine. I hope she doesn’t read this forum. She’s still looking for the bread board.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Scissor jacks make a good rise and fall

9. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

long lengths can be a pain on a table if you haven’t got sufficient space and support, just use a router with a fence if no bearing, without a fence if you have a bearing on the cutter you’ll find it a lot easier

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Seriously, I make things rather than buying them as often as I can, but buying tools to make skirting for a bathroom? People have called me mad (chippie :p) but this is mad. Skirting is uber cheap, and even at top dollar how much do you need for a bathroom?, and available in more sizes and profiles than you could ever want. Here's my merchants selection https://www.cwberry.com/Build/Mouldings/Skirting--Architrave.htm?pi=1

Machining long lengths with a router can be tricky. You either need a very long stable support for hand held or supports for in and outfeed on your table.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

He'll be doing the rest of the house afterwards. Plus I only suggested making his own as at the time he couldn't find something he was struck on, except that Manchester profile, which would be simple to make yourself.

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Wasn't having a dig, but suggesting to dr bodgit to reassess whether the effort is worth the outcome.:D:D

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

My next place i would like to have either varnished or waxed skirting and architrave. I like the look. Hate the painted look.

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks for all your input (I think), hadn't realised I had a fence guide with my router so that makes the table a bit redundant.

I could buy the skirting, but its a combination of postage costs per shipment and that I'll be doing the skirting in stages which makes buying it cost prohibitive. Can't find a place locally that makes varied profiled skirting...which brings me back to making it myself.

Without the table, just need a couple of router bits and some wood, so will likely have a go at making this bathroom skirting at first and see how that goes.

chippie244 likes this.