Skirtings - Help, I'm going Mad!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by CW, Nov 16, 2006.

1. CW

CW New Member

I need to mitre a pile of skirting board of depth 120mm. I've tried using a saw and mitre block but the corners simply don't match properly. What model of power saw would be best, without remortgaging the house? To confirm, the skirting is 120mm in depth.

Thanks
    CW

2. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

3. CW

CW New Member

Thanks for that. Ideally, I'm after a power operated saw......what sort of blade diameter would I need to get to mitre 45deg angles through 120mm of depth?

CW

4. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

I got the cheapo sliding compound mitre PerformancePro from B&Q for £100. It works fine for me and I skirted my whole house with it.

5. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

6. CW

CW New Member

Thanks guys.....I opted for a 10" jobbie from ScrewFix - hopefully that'll be problem sorted.

REALLY appreciate the advice, mega helpful......what a resource for DIY 'nobbers' like myself!

CW

7. woodmeister

woodmeister New Member

remember internal corners are scribed and external corners are mitred,so you,ll need a coping saw as well as a mitre saw.

8. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

remember internal corners are scribed and external
    corners are mitred,so you,ll need a coping saw as
    well as a mitre saw.
    STOP RIGHT THERE

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

remember internal corners are scribed and external
    corners are mitred,so you,ll need a coping saw as
    well as a mitre saw.
    STOP RIGHT THERE

:)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

10. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

there's nothing wrong with mitreing internal corners

when an internal corner is badly out of square even a scribe cut will need an angle on it.!

11. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

I always mitre my mdf internal corners, they join just fine, if not I sand down a little bit. Fill if needed paint sorted.